Lightning Shocks Teacher Through Their Laptop During Online Class

A woman was shocked by lightning when two bolts hit her Oklahoma home, coming through her laptop while she was teaching an online class.

The storm passed through Guthrie, north of Oklahoma City, on Tuesday morning when neighbors said they saw the lightning strike the home.

The impact caused the deck to catch fire and sent shingles flying all the way to the curb, KMBC reported.

The woman, identified only as Carrie, was reportedly teaching an online class on a laptop at the time when the lightning came through the device and shocked her.

The Guthrie Fire Department arrived on the scene to make sure the fire didn't damage the rest of the home.

"You wouldn't think that a laptop would do that, but unfortunately, as she experienced today, it very much can," Guthrie Fire Chief Eric Harlow told the outlet.

Footage shared by the station showed holes in the roof patched up by tarpaulin.

The Guthrie Fire Department urged people not to use electrical devices that have been plugged into the wall during a lightning storm and to avoid taking a bath or a shower during a storm.

Newsweek has contacted the Guthrie Fire Department for comment.

The odds of being struck by lightning are extremely low—around one in a million, figures from the National Weather Service (NWS) show.

Nevertheless, lightning is among the leading causes of storm-related deaths in the U.S. Between 2009 and 2018, there was an average of 27 lightning fatalities every year in the U.S.

Back in March, a woman in North Carolina watched a bolt of lightning strike just 50 yards away from her. When recalling the incident, she said, "It was an amazing experience and honestly I did not think about how lucky myself and my parents were until after looking at the video."

"We noticed a tremendous amount of lightning in the area heading towards us so I began taking videos," Monica Capen told Newsweek. "In the video there was a strike that was very close and you can hear my brother in the background state he was going in the house because the lightning was within three seconds of the thunder and getting closer."

"I kept filming and approximately 10 seconds later the strike hit about 50 yards from us in my parents' backyard on the first set of trees before entering the woods. The sound was so loud! It scared me at first and I was kinda shocked for a second, and we went into the house where more lightning continued around us."

Capen said the family were "so lucky" considering they were only 20 feet from the in-ground swimming pool, which could have acted as a contact point.

Lighting
File photo: Lighting strikes through a fence and across a field outside of Blackwell, Oklahoma. On Tuesday, May 11, lighting struck a home in Guthrie, Oklahoma, and shocked a woman inside. Jeff Hutchens/Getty Images