Long Beach Shooting Live Updates: Reports of Shots Fired at Retirement Home

UPDATE: 12:15 p.m. EDT— Two firefighters and a civilian were shot at a high-rise for seniors and disabled persons early Monday morning, authorities said. The firefighters shot were part of the response team that arrived at Covenant Manor following reports of an explosion and fire.

Long Beach Police Department spokesperson Nancy Pratt told Newsweek that one of the firefighters, identified as Captain David Rosa, was pronounced dead at the hospital. Rosa was a 17-year veteran of the Long Beach Fire Department and had served as captain for the last 6 years, KCAL reported.

The other firefighter and the civilian sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Pratt said that a male suspect had been detained and is being questioned by detectives. "LASD Bomb Squad is also on scene in regards to two suspicious devices found," Pratt told Newsweek. "The investigation is ongoing."

Original Story: Police and SWAT in Long Beach, California, entered a high-rise apartment building on Monday following reporters of shots fired after an explosion.

At around 3:40 a.m., a fire alarm went off at Covenant Manor, on 600 E 4th Street, KCAL reported. Authorities responded to the scene after receiving reports of an active shooter. According to the Associated Press, the event was not an active shooter situation.

The Long Beach Police Department did not respond to a request for comment but confirmed to KCAL that there was no active shooter at the building, which serves as a senior and disabled housing facility.

"All I can confirm at this time is that there has been a shooting," Long Beach Police Sgt. Brad Johnson said. "Not an active shooter situation. Investigation is ongoing."

KCAL reported that a helicopter was seen circling the high-rise, while a SWAT team moved in shortly before 5 a.m.

A witness told KCAL he saw a man sitting on the stairs between the third and second floors with a gun in his hand. The witness and the group of people he was guiding out of the building turned back and found another way out of the building.

According to KABC, a man matching a description of the suspect was reportedly taken to a nearby hospital. Witnesses claimed they saw what appeared to be an injured paramedic and resident also being transported.

The building's residents were evacuated, and nearby streets were closed, KABC reported. Authorities have not confirmed any details on injuries.

This is a developing story and will be updated when more information becomes available.