Man Allegedly Kills 2-Month-Old Son While Baby's Mom Was Hospitalized With COVID

A 25-year-old man was arrested and charged with fatally injuring his 2-month-old son while the baby's mother was reportedly in the hospital with COVID-19.

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation arrested Colton Thompson, 25, on Sunday night after they received a report of an unresponsive 2-month-old. The young boy was transported to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa, according to the OSBI, where he died as a result of his injuries on Tuesday.

Investigators told KWTV-DT that the 25-year-old was taking care of his son, Logan, while the baby's mother, whose name has not been officially released, was in the hospital with COVID-19. She was admitted to the hospital on Friday and reportedly called hourly to check on the baby. All seemed fine until Thompson said he grabbed Logan and the boy wasn't acting normally, according to the arrest affidavit.

baby killed 2 month old
Colton Thompson, 25, was arrested in connection with the death of his 2-month-old son while the baby's mother was in the hospital for COVID-19. Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation

According to reports, the baby's mother called her mother, who called 911. Boyett told investigators Thompson didn't have a bond with the baby and "did not do well with children." She described him as being angry when he had to do something for Logan and that he was reportedly a habitual marijuana smoker, but said there was no one else to watch the 2-month-old while she was in the hospital.

Thompson admitted to investigators that he slapped the baby up to 10 times in the previous few weeks, according to Oklahoma City's News 9, and that he got frustrated when the baby was crying. He reportedly told investigators he grabbed the boy out of his bouncer by one arm, causing his head to go back "very quickly," and then dropped the 2-month-old on the bed.

When officers arrived at the home, they noticed bruises on the side of Logan's face and Thompson allegedly admitted to hitting him in the face with his open right hand.

Thompson was charged with willful or malicious child abuse and murder in the first degree. In Oklahoma, the minimum sentence for first-degree murder is life in prison.

When the Pawnee, Oklahoma emergency services arrived at the house, they found the child in cardiac arrest with no pulse and not breathing. They performed CPR and were able to detect a pulse while on their way to the Stillwater Medical Center. The baby had to be intubated and remained unresponsive, which prompted doctors to transfer him to St. Francis Hospital.

A nurse at St. Francis informed investigators that the baby had two brain bleeds and a possible skull fracture, as well as brain swelling.