Man Found Carrying His Own Severed Arm After Workplace Accident

Two people in Maine recently came across a truly horrifying sight: a man carrying his own severed arm.

According to an NBC station in Portland, Maine, two public workers spotted a man, around 9 a.m. January 21 in Lewiston stumbling on a nearby street. The man, police said, was carrying his own arm, which had been cut off at the shoulder.

The man was reportedly losing a massive amount of blood.

Seeing how badly the man had been injured, the city workers leaped into action and quickly applied a tourniquet to the man's severely injured arm. Luckily, for the injured man, the two public workers were trained in the use of tourniquets, according to the Associated Press.

The quick-action of the two workers, Cam Bernard and Bob Olsen, likely saved the man's life, police later said.

The director of the Lewiston Public Works, Mary Ann Brenchick, believed that someone was looking out for the injured man.

"It had to be divine intervention because two of my best guys just happened to be there sanding sidewalks. It couldn't have been better guys for this kind of situation," she said.

Authorities, while investigating, followed the trail of blood, which led them to AK Market. It's believed that the man sustained his shocking injury, police reported, in an accident with a band saw. However, the details of the circumstances surrounding the gruesome injury are unclear at this time.

The injured man, whose name and age has not been released, was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment. It remains unclear whether the man's arm was able to be reattached.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is looking into the serious injury.

This comes after one construction worker was taken to a hospital in Nevada. The worker was reportedly injured when a bridge collapsed on an interstate last week.

The man was injured Thursday but was later released by Friday. The extent of his injuries was not known.

Additionally, a man in California, also working in construction, suffered severe degree burns to half of his body following an explosion last week, according to ABC 30. The 19-year-old was working on the site of what is expected to be a hotel and casino when the explosion happened.

The man was flown by helicopter to the hospital and was immediately taken into surgery for six hours. While the man is not able to speak, his mother said he is responsive.

"It's going to be a long road," his mother said. "Not just for his healing but to get to the bottom of what happened."

It's unclear at this time what may have led to the explosion.

A man was walking down the street with his own severed arm in Maine when public works employees sprung into action to save the man's life. An ambulance is parked outside the Bellville Medical Center after dropping off a patient, in Bellville, Texas, September 1, 2021. (Photo by FRANCOIS PICARD/AFP via Getty Images) FRANCOIS PICARD/Getty Images