Man Kills Grandmother During Police Standoff, Takes Own Life—Police

Two people have died in a standoff with police in California after a suspect and a woman believed to be his grandmother were found dead inside their Los Angeles home.

SWAT officers and police were called to a home in Montecito Heights at 3:45 p.m. on Wednesday.

CBS Los Angeles reported that firefighters also accompanied both the police and SWAT officers to a home in the 3700 block on Oak Hill Avenue.

Police initially said that a man in his 30s barricaded himself inside a home while holding his grandmother hostage. His grandfather was able to escape the home.

The authorities added the man threatened suicide and that he would shoot the officers. It was later confirmed by the police that the suspect killed his grandmother and took his own life.

Officers entered the home at around 6.30 p.m. after the man refused several orders to come outside, according to Los Angeles Police Department Officer Mike Lopez.

Speaking to KTLA 5 News, Lopez said the police found the man on the floor dead and suspected his gunshot wound was self-inflicted.

Newsweek has contacted the Los Angeles Police Department for comment.

Late last November Newsweek reported on a home-shooting incident being investigated by the Los Angeles County Sherriff's Department.

Five people were found dead with gunshot wounds in Lancaster, Los Angeles.

The victims were four children and a woman. The shooting was reported at 10:30 p.m. on the 3500 block of Garnet Lane on November 28.

A man believed to be the father of some of the victims turned himself in at Lancaster station and was questioned by police.

Police arrived to the property on Garnet Lane after receiving a call saying someone had stopped breathing.

All of the victims were found with a bullet wound to their upper torso. The children were all under the age of 12.

A week prior to this shooting a similar incident occurred in Texas on November 22. A mother, Shaterica Anderson, was shot and killed at her home while her five children were asleep. Anderson's boyfriend, Johnny Landry, has since been charged with her murder.

Johnny Landry's sister, Sandra Landry, spoke to Fox26 News ahead of her brother being charged and detailed the nature of the couple's relationship. She said she did not believe her brother would harm his wife or his children.

She claimed her brother relied on Anderson significantly after the death of their mother, adding her brother would do anything for his family. She did admit the couple had relationship issues in the past.

Stock image of police at a crime scene. Police and SWAT officers were called to Montecito Heights to deal with a potential hostage situation Getty