Gunshots Mark One-Year Anniversary of Michael Brown's Death

Two people were struck by gunfire in the midst of a late-night confrontation on Sunday. Rick Wilking/Reuters

Michael Brown, the unarmed African-American teenager who was fatally shot last summer by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, was remembered a year after his death over the weekend with protests that started peaceful, but ended marred by violence.

Hundreds of people marched, prayed and held moments of silence in Ferguson throughout the weekend to remember Brown. His father, Michael Brown Sr., spoke to the media and led a march on Sunday to remember his son, pausing for moments of silence at the site where his son was killed.

But on Sunday, about six shots were heard as a few hundreds people walked to a church on the outskirts of Ferguson during the day. Then, in Ferguson at night, the protests turned violent when gunfire erupted and one man was critically injured. Police said the man opened fire on officers in an unmarked car, and they shot back.

There was heightened tension between protesters and police, who were dressed in riot gear and tried to disperse demonstrators blocking traffic and smashing storefront windows. The violent scenes were familiar to those from last summer when demonstrations erupted for months nationwide following Brown's death.

Former Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson shot and killed Brown last August 9, and the St. Louis suburb was thrust into the national spotlight. The U.S. Department of Justice later decided not to prosecute Wilson. Several other unarmed black men since have died in police-involved incidents in other U.S. cities, including New York, Cincinnati and Baltimore.

A collection of stuffed animals sits on the road in a memorial at the site where Michael Brown was killed a year ago in Ferguson. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Michael Brown's father, Michael Brown Sr., becomes emotional during an interview before a protest march in Ferguson on August 8. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Keylah Pool, 8, has face paint applied before the protest march. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Michael Brown Sr. and other family members walk by the spot where Brown was killed at the start of the march. Rick Wilking/Reuters
A Missouri State Highway Patrol officer watches the march. Ferguson and surrounding towns brace for a weekend of protests over continued complaints of police violence. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Captain Ron Johnson of the Missouri State Highway Patrol (right) shakes hands with a protester. Rick Wilking/Reuters
A protester sprays his friends with a water bottle. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Protesters hold up a pig's head from a pig roast outside the police department in Ferguson on August 8. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Ferguson Police Sergeant Dominica Fuller listens to protesters yelling at her outside the police station on August 8. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Michael Brown Sr. stands at the spot where his son was killed and hugs his wife Cal Brown during the 4.5 minutes of silence to mark the one-year anniversary of his son's death on August 9. Rick Wilking/Reuters
A protest march led by Michael Brown Sr. walks the streets on August 9. Rick Wilking/Reuters
A partially burned American flag lies on the street near the spot where Brown was killed. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Protesters yell at a police line shortly before shots were fired. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Police stand outside the looted Bowen Beauty Supply on August 9. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Protesters fall to the ground to take cover after shots were fired. Rick Wilking/Reuters
A black man is loaded into an ambulance after a police officer involved shooting on August 9. Rick Wilking/Reuters
Amarion Allen, 11-years-old, stands in front of a police line shortly before shots were fired. Rick Wilking/Reuters