Concealed Thumbtack Found in Tootsie Roll, Parents Told to Throw Away Halloween Candy

Tootsie Roll
The alleged mother—Tonya Benninger—wrote on Facebook: “It was my kid!!! I wish it was bulls**t. It was in a big SEALED tootsie roll!!!! Officials said on Thursday that the case would be investigated. Facebook/Tonya Benninger

Families in Jackson County, Michigan have been urged to throw away Halloween candy after a report surfaced claiming a teenager found a thumbtack hidden in a Tootsie Roll.

In a statement posted to Facebook on Thursday, the Blackman-Leoni Township Department of Public Safety warned local trick-or-treaters about the discovery.

"We are currently taking a report of a thumbtack found in a Tootsie Roll," the statement said. "The child did their trick or treating in the Birdland Subdivision off of Lansing Avenue in Blackman Township. We recommend discarding your child's candy, if you received candy in this neighborhood. We will update you with further information as it is known."

WILX-TV, an NBC-affiliated TV station based in Michigan, first reported that a woman claiming to be the child's mother had posted an image of the booby-trapped candy to social media. The news outlet published the photo showing the thumbtack poking out of the candy.

Alongside the same image, the woman, named Tonya Benninger, wrote on Facebook: "It was my kid!!! I wish it was bulls**t. It was in a big SEALED tootsie roll! I've been a mom for 23 yrs. I've never seen anything bad until tonight. Glad my 17 yr old found it and not the 11yr old."

One person replied: "It is sickening that someone would try to harm children." The warning was shared hundreds of times and attracted dozens of comments.

According to its website, the Blackman-Leoni Township Department of Public Safety provides police, fire and emergency medical services to both Blackman Township and Leoni Township. The townships, it said, occupy 84-square miles and are home to up to 40,000 residents.

Also today, officials from the Clay County Sheriff's Office in Florida warned that it had received reports of Halloween candy being "tampered with." It said the candy had not been ingested.

The post came after a Facebook user called Tina Cavender said she found a needle in a Kit Kat.

"[Her child] opened all the chocolate and found a needle inside her reeses cup," Cavender wrote. "We are throwing it all out and buying candy tomorrow. The kids are too frightened to eat it. We trick or treated in Pineridge Parkway development off tynes in Middleburg."

It's not the first time dangerous objects have been found in Halloween treats. In 2016, parents in Missouri reportedly found a staple and a thumbtack inside their children's candy. The year prior, police in Toronto issued a warning after a thumbtack was found in a chocolate bar.

kitkat
Tina Cavender said she found a needle in a Kit Kat. Tina Cavender/Facebook
Concealed Thumbtack Found in Tootsie Roll, Parents Told to Throw Away Halloween Candy | U.S.