Woman 'Pretty Terrified of Spiders' Finds Venomous Arachnid Inside Her Ear

A Missouri woman who thought she had water in her ear was left shocked after medical experts found it was actually a venomous brown recluse spider.

Susie Torres, of Kansas City, told KSHB doctors said she was lucky not to have been bitten by the sneaky arachnid, which could have led to symptoms including fever, itching and rashes. Torres, who said she is "pretty terrified of spiders," was given the stunning news on Tuesday.

The woman said she heard "swooshing" noises inside her left ear after waking up that day and noted hospital staff reacted quickly after she went in for a check-up, WDAF-TV reported.

"[The medical assistant] ran out and said 'I'm going to get a couple more people,'" Torres revealed. "She then said 'I think you have an insect in there.' Now, I didn't panic because I didn't know what exactly it was, until she came back in. They told me it was a spider."

The woman continued: "They had a few tools and they worked their magic and got it out. She said [...] I looked OK, and I was lucky that I didn't get bitten by this recluse."

According to Healthline, a popular medical reference website, brown recluse spiders typically aren't aggressive, but they will often bite if they become trapped against skin.

"You should always get medical attention if you think you've been bitten by a brown recluse," the website advises. "That's because in the unlikely chance that you do have a complication, it can be a serious condition. These include blood disorders, kidney failure, coma, or even death. Complications like these are more likely to happen in children and older adults."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says symptoms resulting from a venomous spider bite include muscle pain, blistering, sweating, difficulty breathing and nausea. "Symptoms associated with spider bites can vary from minor to severe. Although extremely rare, death can occur in the most severe cases," the agency warns on a website factsheet.

As a result of the close encounter, Torres says she will now take extra precautions before sleeping. "I went and put some cotton balls in my ear last night, because I did not have any earplugs," she told KSHB, adding: "I am pretty terrified of the spiders."

Torres told WDAF-TV: "I'm shaking off my clothes, and I don't put my purse on the floor. I'm a little more cautious."

In April this year, medical experts in southern China discovered a small spider inside the ear canal of a patient in his 20s who sought medical attention after experiencing a "crawling sensation." Video footage of the spider being flushed out of the patient's body with a saline solution was published by the South China Morning Post in May.

Woman 'Pretty Terrified of Spiders' Finds Venomous Arachnid Inside Her Ear | News