Mom And Baby Die From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning While Waiting In Car

A woman and her baby son died from carbon monoxide poisoning in Michigan while they waited for a family member to finish a medical procedure, according to police.

Kellye Canty, 25, and 10-month-old Kanan had been sitting in a car inside the parking garage at the Detroit Medical Center on March 23 when they died.

They had been waiting for Kellye's mother to finish a doctor's appointment at Harper Hospital, according to Fox2.

Wayne County Sheriff's Deputy DeMarray Canty, Kellye's husband, said he tried to save the pair after being told his wife was not responding to his mother's calls.

In a GoFundMe page statement, Canty said: "As she and our son waited on her mother to finish a medical appointment, the car that they were in slowly filled with carbon monoxide and put them both to sleep forever.

"When I was called about her not responding to her mother's call, I flew to the hospital and busted the window to only find my wife and son lifeless."

Canty added he was unable to save his wife and son with CPR and said: "I will never be the same."

Doctors also attempted to revive Kellye and Kanan, but were unable to save their lives, Fox2 reported.

The network added investigators believe their deaths were accidental and that carbon monoxide poisoning was the likely cause.

Following Kellye and Kanan's deaths, Canty created a GoFundMe page to raise money for their funeral.

Since the GoFundMe page was created last week, people have donated more than $17,530, smashing the original $8,000 target.

In a March 26 update post, Canty said: "I am overwhelmed by everyone's generosity. As I've spent today planning my family's home going, I had no idea what it took to plan a funeral.

"I am so grateful for all the support we're receiving and though I hit my initial goal I'm keeping the fundraiser going.

"This costs more than I realized and I'm so thankful for your help while I do the unthinkable and plan both my wife and baby boy's homecoming. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart."

Corporal Cassandra Haygood, with the Wayne County Sheriff's Office (WCSO) Bereavement Committee, said the funeral would happen at Fellowship Chapel, 7707 W. Outer Drive, Detroit at 12 p.m. on April 1.

Newsweek has contacted the WCSO for comment.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), every year 430 people in the U.S. die as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Some 50,000 people in the U.S. visit the emergency department each year due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, it said, noting that carbon monoxide is "an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death".

Numerous carbon monoxide cases were recorded in Texas last year as residents tried to stay warm amid freezing temperatures and a failed power grid.

Houston police said a woman and young girl died in a carbon monoxide poisoning incident that involved a car.

In a Twitter post, the department said: "Initial indications are that a car was running in the attached garage to create heat as the power is out. Cars, grills and generators should not be used in or near a building."

Stock image of police car
Stock image of police car. The mother and baby boy died as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, according to police. Getty