Mom 'Numb' After Death of Toddler Who Got Caught in Window Shade Cord

The mother of a young boy killed when he became entangled in the cord of an unsecured window shade has said she is numb after the loss on the day before her birthday.

Kane Davidson from the Oldham region of Manchester in the United Kingdom was playing with his non-verbal brother when his mother, Natasha Ogden believes he must have slipped and got tangled in the cord, the Manchester Evening News reported on Thursday.

The mother of Kane, who would have been 2 in March, wants to use the tragic passing of her son to warn other parents of the dangers of unsecured cords of window blinds.

Recalling the incidents of January 28, the 23-year-old said had left Kane unattended for just a few seconds while she went to the bathroom. When she returned she believed that he was playing hide and seek.

"He was cheeky and you could always hear him; he was very loud," Ogden told the Manchester Evening News "I saw his reflection in the window in the front bedroom. I thought he was playing hide and seek but I moved the curtain and he wasn't."

Upon finding Kane her screams alerted her neighbor who arrived on the scene and performed CPR on the boy as they waited for an ambulance crew to arrive.

Ogden said: "I was just numb. I still am. I just screamed; I felt sick. It's torn me apart."

Arriving at the intensive care unit of Manchester Children's Hospital, Kane was placed in a coma. it was discovered that the youngster had suffered brain trauma and that his injuries were so severe he had little chance of survival.

Ogden told the paper: "The doctors said they would take him off all the sedation and see what he could do on his own. But he couldn't do anything. He couldn't open his eyes or move.

"The MRI showed he was nearly brain dead. He didn't have a chance."

On February 1, Kane's mother and father Callum Davidson made the decision to remove their son from life support.

Natasha Ogden is currently living with her mother and said she will not return to the rented home where the accident occurred. She added that the cord for the window in the property was not secured, but she was unaware of danger at the time.

Ogden said: "I just want to make sure the blinds are safe and there is a fitting on the wall with the blinds."

A GoFundMe page has been set up by Stephanie Gerrard a teammate of Ogden's in the D'fine Dance Troupe to help Kane's family financially.

Kane Davidson
An image of young Kane Davidson. His mother Kane Davidson has warned parents of the dangers of unsecured window shade cords after her son was killed in a tragic accident. By Permission/Natasha Ogden