Two National Guard Troops Rushed to Hospital After Being Struck by Lightning

Two National Guardsmen have been injured after they were struck by lightning in Washington D.C.

The men were taken to hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries after the lightning struck just after midnight on Thursday in Lafayette Square, the park in front of the White House.

Vito Maggiolo, spokesperson for the district's fire and emergency medical services department, said the strike occurred at a perimeter set up by Lafayette Square, where there had been mass protests over the killing of Minneapolis man George Floyd, reported NBC News.

The incident was also confirmed by the DC Fire and EMS on Twitter.

"Shortly after midnight, #DCsBravest received a call for a report of 2 military personnel suffering the effects of a nearby lightning strike within the Lafayette Park perimeter," the department wrote."Both were transported with non life threatening injuries."

The National Guard has been contacted for comment.

White House social media director Dan Scavino tweeted out a video of lightning striking the capital on the night the guardsmen were injured.

The mass protest against police brutality continued for another night in Washington, despite the severe weather and thunderstorms that broke out on Thursday.

There have been no reports of any protesters being injured during the lightning strikes.

Elsewhere, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is suing the Trump administration after demonstrators were struck with tear gas during a demonstration on Monday at Lafayette Square.

There are claims law enforcement were trying to move hundreds of protesters on so President Donald Trump could pose for a photo opportunity at the St. John's Episcopal Church, across the street from the White House, while holding a Bible.

"What happened to our members Monday evening, here in the nation's capital, was an affront to all our rights," said April Goggans, core organizer of Black Lives Matter D.C. and the lead plaintiff in the case.

"The death of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor at the hands of police officers has reignited the rage, pain, and deep sadness our community has suffered for generations. We won't be silenced by tear gas and rubber bullets. Now is our time to be heard."

Ben Wizner, director of the ACLU's Speech, Privacy, and Technology Project, added: "Across the country, law enforcement armed with military weaponry are responding with violence to people who are protesting police brutality.

"The First Amendment right to protest is under attack, and we will not let this go unanswered. This is the first of many lawsuits the ACLU intends to file across the country in response to police brutality against protesters."

National Guard
Members of the D.C. National Guard take advantage of the shade at the Lincoln Memorial as demonstrators citywide participate in peaceful protest against police brutality and the death of George Floyd, on June 3, 2020 in Washington, DC. Win McNamee/Getty