Navy Chief Accused of Locking Husband in Garage, Shooting Him During Fight Over Children

Officials said that a chief petty officer at Naval Air Station Pensacola is accused of locking her husband in their garage and shooting him to death while he called 911 for help.

Bree Kuhn, 34, was taken into custody on Wednesday night on charges of first-degree premeditated murder of her spouse, Collin James Turner, 34. The Santa Rosa County Sheriff said the Kuhn and Turner's children were inside their home when the alleged incident occurred.

Sheriff Bob Johnson said during a Thursday press conference that the two were fighting about the children. Kuhn was taken to Santa Rosa County Jail but records did not provide an attorney who could speak for her, the Associated Press reported.

"It's just a sad case — a very sad case — of people arguing, and then, it gets to this point," Johnson said.

The incident comes days after Marine Bryan Riley, apparently delusional, murdered a family of four in Lakeland, Florida, including a mother holding her infant son. He told police he believed a girl named Amber was being held at the family's home by sex traffickers after he saw Justice Gleason and his 11-year-old daughter, the lone survivor, on the front lawn earlier in the day.

For more reporting from the Associated Press, see below.

Naval Air Station Pensacola
A chief petty officer at the Pensacola Naval Air station is in custody for allegedly shooting her husband to death during a disagreement on Wednesday. A general view of the atmosphere at the Pensacola Naval Air Station following a shooting on December 06, 2019 in Pensacola, Florida. Josh Brasted/Getty Images

"He wanted to take the kids out of state, and she didn't want to go," Johnson said.

Deputies went to the home about 12:50 p.m. Wednesday after the couple got into a heated argument and Kuhn called 911. They found no evidence of a physical altercation and left.

A second call came in about 5 p.m.

"He called that time," Johnson said. "Same thing — another argument."

Responding deputies found nothing alarming at the scene and left again.

At 6:22 p.m., Turner called 911 again.

"While on the phone, he says that he's locked in the garage," Johnson said. "During the phone call with dispatch, you hear gunshots. He states, basically, 'She just shot me.' Then, you hear three more."

When deputies arrived at the home four minutes later, they found Turner dead and Kuhn in a state of shock, the sheriff said.

"I can't go into what she said or anything like that," Johnson said. "But to put it the best way, I'd say (she was in) shock, probably. You're a Navy chief one day, and the next day, you're in jail."

He said two children were placed in the custody of the Florida Department of Children and Families, while a third child was turned over to the biological father.