New Hampshire Father Chokes 'Rabid' Coyote to Death After It Attacked His 2-Year-Old Son: 'There Wasn't Much of a Choice'

A New Hampshire father killed an apparently rabid coyote with his bare hands after it attacked his family.

Ian O'Reilly had been out on a walk with his wife and their three children—two sons aged 2 and 4 and their 6-year-old daughter—on a trail near Judes Pond between the towns of Exeter and Kensington on Monday morning, Boston 25 reported.

O'Reilly, of Kensington, told the station that the coyote came "out of nowhere" and attacked his youngest son, but he was able to kick it away from the child before the animal could do much harm.

But the animal was in "attack mode," O'Reilly said, and he had no choice but to kill it to protect his family. The animal bit him on the chest and arm before he eventually choked it to death.

"We tried to de-escalate the situation by kicking it and trying to get it away from us and shoo it away. That did not work. It was very much the aggressor," O'Reilly told Boston 25.

"There was no interest in it going away. Ultimately I had to make the decision to become the aggressor and continually jumped on it, attacked it and was able to get it to the ground."

Running on adrenalin, O'Reilly said he used his hands to cover the coyote's snout so it would stop attacking him and eventually managed to kill the animal after a 10-minute struggle.

"Ultimately one hand on its windpipe and one hand on its snout did the trick," he said. "It was very much in attack mode. There wasn't much of a choice unfortunately."

O'Reilly said he was sure that the animal was rabid and he has since received his first round of rabies shots. His son was bitten, but the bite didn't pierce the child's skin thanks to the snowsuit he was wearing, according to Boston25.

Officers from New Hampshire Fish and Game took custody of the coyote's body and are testing it for rabies, the Kensington Police Department said.

Police also revealed that the same coyote had been involved in two other attacks in Kensington earlier on Monday.

Hampton Falls Police received a call about a coyote attacking a vehicle near the border of Kensington and Hampton Falls at around 8.40 a.m.

At 9 a.m., Kensington Police received a report that a 62-year-old woman and her dogs were attacked by a coyote. The woman was bitten as she was fighting the keep the coyote out of her home and has since received her first rabies shot. Her dogs have also been treated and received a rabies booster shot, police said.

"The coyote was on her three season porch and her two dogs had opened the sliding door and were attacked by the coyote," Kensington Police said in a news release.

"The two dogs retreated back into the house and the coyote attempted to get into the house. While the homeowner was fighting to keep the coyote out of the house she was bitten."

Kensington Police said Exeter Police were called at around 11 a.m. after the same coyote attacked O'Reilly's family.

"The coyote attacked a young child and the child's dad went into protection mode and suffocated the coyote until it succumbed," police said.

The Kensington Police Department, the Exeter Police Department and New Hampshire Fish and Game have been contacted for additional comment.

A coyote, pictured before it attacked a vehicle in Kensington, New Hampshire, was killed by a father after it attacked the man's toddler son. Kensington Police Department