New York Man Kills Grandfather in Machete Attack, Police Say

A New York man has been arrested after allegedly stabbing his 79-year-old grandfather to death and injuring two other relatives with a machete.

The 22-year-old man, who has not been identified, was arrested after allegedly attacking his grandfather, a 49-year-old relative and his 4-year-old sister at around 6.20 p.m. on Sunday in a second-floor apartment in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn.

The New York Police Department (NYPD) told Newsweek that they were called to a report of an assault on 300 Putnam Avenue, within the confines of the 79th Precinct.

In a statement, they said: "Upon arrival officers discovered a 79 year-old male with a stab wound to the abdomen, a 49-year-old male with a slash wound to the hand and a 4-year-old female with a slash wound to the hip."

The 79-year-old was rushed to Interfaith Hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said. The 49-year-old was taken to Kings County Hospital and the 4-year-old was taken to Woodhull hospital. Both are in a stable condition.

The NYPD said the 22-year-old was taken into custody at the scene and the investigation is ongoing. It's unclear what prompted the attack. The identity of the deceased has not been released pending a family notification, the NYPD said.

According to the New York Post, police and sources said the suspect and the victims are all related.

The publication reported that the 79-year-old was the suspect's grandfather and the 4-year-old his sister. The attack is believed to be related to a domestic dispute, NYPost reported.

It also named the suspect as Dayquan Dubose, citing law enforcement sources. A witness of the incident was reportedly able to hold the man until police officers arrived on the scene.

Last month, a woman was fatally stabbed in New York while reportedly trying to rescue her friend's daughter from an apartment.

Mother of two Franchelli Almonte, 36, was stabbed in the neck as she tried to pick up the 17-year-old girl, who was with her boyfriend, The Post-Standard reported.

Almonte had driven to the address in Northside, Syracuse after receiving a call from the girl's mother asking for her help, according to the newspaper. She told Almonte that her daughter was being threatened and held against her will by the boy, who is also aged 17.

But as the two mothers arrived to pick up the girl an altercation broke out and Almonte was reportedly stabbed.

In April, a man in New York was arrested after allegedly murdering his father and mutilating his body while the pair were staying at home due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Officers found the body of 57-year-old Imad Ahmad in his home in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn, a spokesperson for the New York Police Department confirmed to Newsweek. The man had been stabbed multiple times, the spokesperson added.

According to the NYPost, officers arrived at the home shortly after Imad Ahmad's son Khaled Ahmad left the family home drenched in blood and approached officers in a bagel shop. "I killed my father," he reportedly told them.

Officers handcuffed the 26-year-old and took him to the 68th Precinct stationhouse for questioning. He was later charged with murder and criminal possession of a weapon, the NYPD spokesperson confirmed.

Police and EMS responded to the family home on 84th Street, near 14th Avenue. Imad Ahmad was pronounced dead at the scene.

The New York Daily News reported, citing police sources, that Imad Ahmad's body had been dismembered and police are still searching for some body parts.

Khaled Ahmad allegedly cut off his father's arms and part of his head, police sources told NYPost. The man's body was also disemboweled.