Officer Darren Wilson's Testimony on the Michael Brown Shooting: Report

The official testimony that Officer Darren Wilson, the police officer who shot and killed the unarmed teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, gave to authorities was revealed for the first time in a Friday New York Times report.

During the struggle, the officer claimed that Brown reached for his gun. Wilson told investigators that the two struggled over the weapon before the fatal shooting, that Brown assaulted him and he "feared for his life" that day. He also said that Brown had scratched and punched him multiple times, which resulted in cuts and swelling on his face and neck.

According to forensic tests, the gun went off twice in Wilson's S.U.V., and shot Brown in the arm once. The test also confirmed that Brown's blood was found in Wilson's car, his uniform and his gun. The autopsy confirmed that Brown had been shot a total of six times upon his death.

Wilson's account parallels that of other officers, who told reporters that Brown physically assaulted Wilson and pushed him back into the vehicle. But as the report notes, Wilson's account doesn't correlate with eyewitness reports of the shooting. Many onlookers claimed that Brown was surrendering, hands in the air, right before he was shot multiple times and killed by the officer. Wilson's statement also fails to explain why he shot Brown several times after he got out of his car.

According to the report, Brown and a friend, Dorian Johnson, were walking down the middle of Canfield Drive when Wilson stopped them. He halted his vehicle and told them to get on the sidewalk. It soon escalated into an altercation, with Brown and the officer fighting through the Chevy Tahoe window. Johnson told reporters that Wilson initiated the scuffle and tried to choke Brown. He also said that Brown never reached for Wilson's gun.

Earlier last month, Wilson voluntarily testified before a St. Louis County grand jury, although he wasn't legally required for him to do so. A federal investigation of Brown's death is ongoing, and until it is complete, he cannot be charged unless it is proven that he consciously violated the civil rights charges against him.

The grand jury currently investigating the case in Clayton, Missouri, is supposed to reach a decision about Wilson in November. The jury has been in session since August 20th, shortly after the shooting occurred.

Benjamin L. Crump, an attorney representing the Brown family, told The New York Times that Wilson should be indicted by a grand jury.

"The officer's going to say whatever he's going to say to justify killing an unarmed kid. Right now, they have this secret proceeding where nobody knows what's happening and nobody knows what's going on. No matter what happened in the car, Michael Brown ran away from him," Crump said in the interview.

Protests in and around Ferguson have been ongoing since Brown's shooting in August, and have exposed raw tensions between the community and local law enforcement.