Cops Identified in Shooting of Black Man Jamar Clark in Minneapolis

President Barack Obama takes part in a roundtable discussion on ways to reduce gun violence during a visit to the Minneapolis Police Department Special Operations Center on February 4, 2013. Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

Updated | Authorities in Minneapolis have identified the two officers involved in the police shooting on Sunday morning that led to the death of unarmed black man Jamar Clark.

Both officers, Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze, have served as policemen for seven years, including 13 months with the Minneapolis Police Department, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety said in a statement Wednesday morning.

Around 1 a.m. local time on Sunday, Ringgenberg and Schwarze responded to a request for assistance from paramedics who reported an individual was disrupting their ability to assist an assault victim at the scene, according to the the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), which has been investigating the case at the request of the police department. An altercation ensued between the officers and the individual, later identified as Clark, 24, of Minneapolis.

During the struggle, an officer discharged his weapon and Clark was struck in the head with a bullet. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he later died on Monday.

Both officers were placed on standard paid administrative after the shooting.

Whether Clark was in handcuffs at the time of the shooting is the subject of debate, as activists and witnesses disagree with police. A preliminary report said Clark wasn't cuffed at the time of the shooting.

"The heart that he had, I wish some of you would have half of it," Clark's sister, Javille Burns, told reporters on Wednesday. "Everything that has happened to him, he did not deserve."

He did not "deserve to be shot down in the street, like an animal, and walked away from like his life did not matter," she added.

The video footage reviewed by authorities at this point doesn't show the shooting in its entirety, and authorities won't release it at this time, BCA Superintendent Drew Evans told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.

There is no evidence from vehicle dashboard cameras or police body cameras. The footage has come from a police mobile camera station, a public housing building, an ambulance and witnesses' cellphones.

The FBI has announced it will conduct a criminal civil rights investigation into the shooting, following calls from both activists and the city's mayor to do so. The investigation will include an independent review of all evidence.

The BCA also will continue with its ongoing investigation. The agency will turn over its findings to the Hennepin County Attorney's office for review upon completion.

Activists, who have been protesting in Minneapolis since Sunday afternoon, demand the video footage of the shooting to be released. Members from the local chapters of Black Lives Matter and NAACP have called on the police department to fire and prosecute the officers.

Members of Black Lives Matter have occupied the main entrance of the 4th Precinct police station since Sunday afternoon. They are demanding that authorities release the video of the shooting.

"We want them to stop killing us. At the end of the day, this is about stopping [the] killing of black people in the streets," member Lena Gardner told reporters on Wednesday.

Officials urge anyone who witnessed the shooting to contact authorities.

This story has been updated to include comment from Clark's family.