Parents Shocked at Doctors' Treatment of Unvaccinated Football Player Before His Death

The parents of a beloved high school football player were shocked by how doctors allegedly treated their unvaccinated son when he was admitted with a severe case of COVID-19. The teen later died from complications of the virus.

Tyler Fairley, a 17-year-old from Douglasville, Georgia, was suffering from COVID-19. His parents rushed him to Douglas Wellstar Medical Center twice, according to WSB-TV.

The doctors at the hospital seemed as though they "didn't care" that Fairley was suffering, according to his mother Tosha Nettles.

"It was as if the doctor didn't care because this was COVID and he didn't prevent himself from having COVID because he wasn't vaccinated," Nettles said. "That could've been a conversation for another time. But not during the time my son was in distress."

Nettles said the doctors seemed frustrated with her son because he had not received the COVID-19 vaccine.

Fairley stopped responding to one of the doctors.

"I believe the doctor became offended by that because his words were, 'This is COVID, this is what we've been seeing for a year and a half. It's just got to run its course,'" Nettles said. "I said, 'Well, he's sick, and I mean he's not disrespectful, never been in trouble,' and I said, 'This is strange for me too. This is not my son, which is why we're here.'"

Fairley was rushed to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, Scottish Rite Hospital, where he later died on Sunday.

Nettles told the local station that she wished she had gotten her son vaccinated. She said she wasn't sure it would have helped Fairley because she is not completely convinced he died from COVID-19.

When he died, his brain showed no activity as a result of multiple seizures, according to Nettles.

"I'm not a medical professional but I do wish I had gotten him vaccinated," Nettles said. "Do I know that the vaccine would've helped what he was going through? I don't know."

The hospital extended its condolences to Nettles and is reviewing the care Fairley received while at Douglas Wellstar, WSB-TV reported.

Wellstar Health System provided Newsweek with the following statement:

At Wellstar, people and high-quality care are at the center of everything we do. As a non-profit health system serving millions of Georgians each year, we provide medical care to every person, every time, regardless of their vaccination status. We are saddened to learn about the passing of Tyler Fairley. Our thoughts are with his family, including the Douglas County High School football team and the Douglas County community during this difficult time. Following our protocols, we are reviewing the care provided at our facility. Out of respect for patients and their families, and to comply with federal and state patient privacy laws, we are prohibited from sharing specific details about individual patients.

The local community mourned over the news of Fairley's death, which was first announced on Sunday by the Douglas County High School football team's Twitter account. Fairley was an offensive lineman for the Tigers, and he was nicknamed "the gentle giant" by his coaches.

You will be MISSED ..😢😢. Rest easy Tyler

— DC Football (@DCTIGERS_FB) August 1, 2021

Douglas County High School Principal Kenja Parks issued the following statement to local news station WXIA:

"The Douglas County High School family offers our deepest sympathies to the family of Tyler Fairley. Tyler was a shining light in our Tiger community. He will always be remembered for his gentle spirit, his grace, his willingness to lend a helping hand, his academic excellence, and his athletic prowess. He was a model son, brother, scholar-athlete, and simply a joy to all who knew him."

The school's football coach, Johnny White, told the Douglas County Sentinel that his players were "taking it hard, but wanted to be at practice and dedicate the season to Tyler."

Updated at 4:25 p.m. ET, with a statement from Wellstar Health System.

Georgia HS football player death COVID
Stock photo. The parents of a beloved high school football player were shocked by how doctors allegedly treated their unvaccinated son when he was admitted with a severe case of COVID-19. istock/Getty/peterspiro