Parents of Teen Charged in School Shooting Received Anonymous Call That He Was Responsible

The parents of a teenager charged this week in a Virginia high school shooting received an anonymous phone call saying their son was responsible, the Associated Press reported.

The parents of the 15-year-old boy reportedly received a phone call from an unknown person who said he was responsible for shooting two other students on Monday. After the call and about three hours after the shooting, his family took him to juvenile services in the city of Newport News, the AP said.

The teen was interviewed at police headquarters and charged with two counts of aggravated malicious wounding, two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and other weapons-related offenses, Newport News police said in a news release.

The 15-year-old boy was charged on Monday as a juvenile, police spokeswoman Kelly King said.

For more reporting from the Associated Press, see below.

Newport News High School Shooting
Parents of a 15-year-old boy charged in a Virginia school shooting reportedly received an anonymous phone call telling them their son was responsible. Above, a woman watches as Newport News police officers and Virginia state troopers respond to the scene of the shooting at Heritage High School on Monday. Jonathon Gruenke/The Virginian-Pilot via AP

Surveillance footage from inside a Virginia high school where the two students were shot earlier this week shows a student opening fire in a hallway after a teacher broke up his fight with one of the shooting victims, according to court records.

The fight at Heritage High School in Newport News only lasted a few seconds, but court records state the 15-year-old boy was captured on video dropping his backpack, pulling a gun from his waistband and firing multiple times at a 17-year-old boy, news outlets reported.

The 17-year-old boy was shot in the head and leg, and his fingers were also severely injured. A 17-year-old girl walking down the hallway was also shot. Both teenagers are expected to recover from their injuries, according to court records.

The 15-year-old boy ran out of the school and a gun was found in a trash can just outside the door, court records state.

Police identified the suspected shooter in several ways, including from papers in the backpack he dropped. The video also showed that the 15-year-old was wearing an electronic ankle monitor, devices courts often mandate to track defendants on probation. One of his teachers said the 15-year-old left her class for lunch but did not return, according to court records.

The wounded teen told detectives a student he did not know came up to him, began fighting, then pulled out a gun and shot him. Though the wounded teen told police he did not know the shooter, Police Chief Steve Drew said at a news conference Monday that the shooting appears to have been targeted. Police also said the students were known to each other.