Parler Boss John Matze Says YouTube 'Deceitful' for Deleting Videos Disputing Election

The CEO of social media platform Parler has criticized YouTube's decision to moderate misinformation about the 2020 presidential election.

John Matze, who manages the Twitter-like website, said the move was "shameful and deceitful" and asked if the Google-owned video giant would also take down anti-Trump conspiracies.

Matze, 27, of Nevada, made his comments on Fox News' The Ingraham Angle, in a two-minute segment that ended abruptly as he tried to advertise his own social network for a second time. Parler is pitched as an alternative to Facebook and Twitter.

"YouTube frankly should be embarrassed, this is shameful and deceitful and this is why millions of people are coming to Parler," the CEO said.

"In 2016, [YouTube was] comfortable with the conspiracy theory that Russia stole the election, now they have conspiracy theories on YouTube all about how aliens created the pyramids, that is all acceptable but the 2020 election, you can't talk about that—it's pretty crazy," he added.

Matze was referencing the 2016 presidential election meddling campaign spearheaded by Russia that abused social media channels and leaked political material that could be damaging to Donald Trump's opponent, Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.

U.S. intelligence officials said Russia "developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump" and the scheme was likely ordered by President Vladimir Putin.

On Wednesday, YouTube announced that it would start removing content that misleads its users "by alleging that widespread fraud or errors changed the outcome of the 2020 U.S. presidential election," including software glitches or counting errors.

In the Fox segment, Ingraham questioned if the "entirety of conservative thought" could be the next victim of censorship, and asserted the platform was targeting the views of over 74 million Americans who voted for Trump in the November election.

Trump was defeated in the election by Democrat Joe Biden. Trump has so far refused to concede, with his team filing lawsuits in an attempt to challenge the results.

Ingraham appeared to suggest in the interview that YouTube was hosting propaganda linked to the Chinese and Venezuelan governments, but did not elaborate further.

"It sounds like they endorse all content that they have on their platform and they only take down stuff they don't. It sounds like they are acting like a publication. That's why people are uploading their videos on Parler now or going elsewhere," Matze said.

As he was still speaking, Ingraham ended the interview and moved on.

YouTube's pledge came over a month after the election, and when the winner was clear. Consumer watchdog group SumOfUs said the decision was "too little too late."

"The platform has already done plenty of damage to our democracy, while continuing to line its pockets with ad revenue generated from extreme content that its algorithm has allowed to go viral," said the collective, which is made up of activists, researchers and academics who are campaigning against the spread of disinformation.

"Until they take real measures to address videos that are already out there and mitigate the spread of this dangerous disinformation, these efforts are meaningless."

Parler
This illustration picture shows social media application logo from Parler displayed on a smartphone with its website in the background in Arlington, Virginia on July 2, 2020. OLIVIER DOULIERY/AFP/Getty