Philadelphia Medics Attacked with Bricks While Tending to Patient

Two Philadelphia fire medics were attacked during an overnight call in the Hunting Park neighborhood early on Sunday morning.

The first responders were helping an elderly man along West Somerset Street just after midnight when they were ambushed by someone throwing bricks, Action News 6 ABC reports.

The unidentified person reportedly hurled bricks at the ambulance, jumped on the hood of the vehicle and caused extensive damage.

Medics on the scene called for assistance, but the man ran off before police arrived.

The individual was subsequently found and taken into custody to face vandalism charges, Philadelphia police said.

The ambulance has since been taken out of service due to the damage.

The incident remains under investigation. Newsweek has reached out to the Philadelphia Police and Fire Department for comment.

In recent months, Philadelphia has seen increasing acts of violence and unrest in the wake of the death of Walter Wallace Jr., a 27-year-old Black man, who was fatally shot by police in the city.

Wallace's father, Walter Wallace Sr., said his son had struggled with mental health issues, and was on medication.

Videos of the incident show Wallace walking around a parked car as the officers backed up while he walked toward them. The officers then shot him several times, and he was taken to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, where he died.

A witness, Maurice Holloway, told the Inquirer that Wallace had been standing on the porch of his home holding a knife and that officers had immediately drawn their guns when they arrived on the scene. Wallace's mother had tried to shield him from police after he walked down the steps of the porch, Holloway said.

"I'm yelling, 'Put down the gun, put down the gun,' and everyone is saying, 'Don't shoot him, he's gonna put it down, we know him.' They were too far from him; it was so many shots," Holloway added.

In a statement, Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said he had watched "the video of this tragic incident" and said it "presents difficult questions that must be answered."

The following day, at least 12 Philadelphia police officers were hospitalized after rioting broke out.

Violent clashes with police have continued with protesters causing widespread damage across the city.

Earlier this month the unrest continued when protesters took to the streets to demand that every vote is counted as Trump supporters in the contested state allege voter fraud.

Hundreds of protesters marched with Black Lives Matter and Count Every Vote signs from City Hall to Independence Mall.

Crowds gathered with anti-Trump signs that decried white supremacy and fascism and called to abolish the Electoral College. Others held up signs and banners displaying the phrase "Every Vote Counts, Count Every Vote," and similar sentiments.

The state has received major pushback from Republicans and part of the effort from the Trump campaign to halt the counting of ballots.

Philadelphia ambulance damaged
Philadelphia police say one person has been taken into custody after an ambulance was damaged on Sunday (file photo). Mark Makela/Getty