Plane Crash Sparks Explosion and Panic at Toronto Pearson Airport

1_6_Westjet Plane
A WestJet flight and an Air Canada flight cross paths on a runway at the Lester B. Pearson airport as photographed from an airplane on August 28, 2012 in Toronto, Canada. Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Two planes from separate airlines collided at Toronto Pearson Airport on Friday evening causing chaos among passengers.

A WestJet aircraft with 176 passengers and crew aboard was in queue for the gate when a Sunwing plane carrying no passengers backed into it, the CBC News reports.

"Out of nowhere there was an audible crunch and the plane rocked slightly," Gustavo Lobo, a passenger aboard the WestJet plane told CBC News. "We looked out the window and saw that the plane had backed up into us. Everyone was a little shocked and kind of chuckling at the situation."

Related: Plane Diverted After Passenger Smears Bathrooms With Excrement

Shortly after, chaos ensued.

"Panic set in when [we saw] what seemed to be fuel spewing from the crash. After a couple of seconds the entire thing ignited and it was chaos inside the plane. People screaming and panicking all while the flight attendants shouted to try and control the situation," Lobo said.

A video of the incident shows a small fire on the outside of the aircraft, as passengers are heard yelling inside. Quickly after the fire started, the travelers were forced to evacuate the jet via slides.

"Due to the position of the aircraft on the laneway, WestJet guests required evacuation via emergency slide. Emergency crews were on hand and responded immediately," Westjet said in a statement, according to The Associated Press.

Related: Trump Says He's the Reason There Were No Plane-Crash Deaths Last Year (He Wasn't)

There were no injuries among those on the WestJet plane; however, one person from the Toronto Pearson Fire and Emergency Service sustained injuries, which were not specified, and was taken to the hospital, CBC reports.

The incident—which happened at 6:25 p.m. ET—caused passengers to be delayed for hours. At around 9:00 p.m., everyone was finally safely inside, according to a tweet posted by Toronto Pearson Airport.

"Following the incident at Toronto Pearson's Terminal 3 this evening, all Westjet passengers aboard Flight WS2425 have been safely returned to the terminal and are being cleared by Canadian Border Services Agency," the airport announced on their website.

At this time [9:40pm ET], airport operations have largely not been affected by the incident but continue to be challenged by the extreme cold weather conditions.

— Toronto Pearson (@TorontoPearson) January 6, 2018

While the incident didn't cause widespread delays at the airport, the extreme cold weather has posed ongoing delays.