Police Kill Man Who Opened Fire in Texas Capital

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - A man apparently upset about U.S. immigration policy was fatally shot early Friday after firing more than 100 rounds on a U.S. federal courthouse, a Mexican consulate and police headquarters in the Texas capital, police said.

The suspect, whose name was not immediately released, was an Austin man in his 50s who had a criminal history.

Police were investigating whether the gunman died of a self-inflicted wound or from a shot fired by a mounted officer who was bringing horses into a stable near police headquarters.

"The sergeant was right there getting ready to put the horses away for the night," said Austin PoliceChief Art Acevedo. "As he held two horses with one hand, he discharged at least one round with a single-handed shot."

The suspect also tried to set fire to the Mexican consulate and Acevedo said the targets indicated the attack may have been over U.S. immigration policies.

"When you look at the national debate right now about immigration, that ... comes to mind. Sometimes our political discourse becomes very heated and sometimes very angry," Acevedo told reporters.

Earlier this month, President Barack Obama imposed the most sweeping immigration reform in a generation, easing the threat of deportation for some 4.7 million undocumented immigrants and setting up a clash with Republicans and anti-immigration activists.

No police or other civilians were injured in the Austin incident. A bomb squad was dispatched to investigate possible explosive devices linked to the suspect.

Police received a call at 2:22 a.m. about shots being fired in the downtown area. The three buildings were hit in a shooting spree that lasted a few minutes and involved what police said were "many, many rounds."

In a statement, the Mexican Foreign Ministry expressed "its deep concern and condemnation of the incident."

Once the suspect was shot, officer noticed what appeared to be an improvised explosive device inside his vehicle and possibly another one in a vest he was wearing.

Police declared a "critical incident" and closed a major highway and blocked traffic through the downtown area. All roadways were later reopened.

Officers were examining the man's home in north Austin.