Prince Andrew's Website Now Links to Page With Jeffrey Epstein Statement

Prince Andrew's website has been taken down and now redirects to his resignation statement on Jeffrey Epstein.

The page thedukeofyork.org now sends visitors to the prince's section of the royal family's main website, which holds a link to his admission of regret over his "ill-judged association" with the deceased pedophile.

Archived versions of the site suggest it was still working on May 11 and may have been removed sometime between then and July 3.

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson told Newsweek: "The contract with the host provider of The Duke of York's website (www.thedukeofyork.org) came to an end and has not been renewed.

Newsweek subscription offers >

"The website has been redirected to The Duke of York's page on the Royal website.

"The website was maintained by The Duke of York's office."

Online records suggest the site was due to expire on February 22, 2021.

The duke's page on royal.uk begins with the words: "In November 2019, His Royal Highness The Duke of York stepped back from his public duties for the foreseeable future."

Newsweek subscription offers >

That is followed by a link to his resignation statement, which reads: "I have asked Her Majesty if I may step back from public duties for the foreseeable future, and she has given her permission.

"I continue to unequivocally regret my ill-judged association with Jeffrey Epstein."

Prince Andrew Visits Crossrail in London
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, leaves the headquarters of Crossrail at Canary Wharf on March 7, 2011, in London, England. Dan Kitwood/Getty

Andrew stepped back in disgrace in November after a car crash BBC TV interview in which he said he did not regret his friendship with Epstein.

His private office was shut down and he stopped performing public engagements on behalf of the royal family, no longer benefiting from public funding.

However, it is believed he still receives funding from the estate Queen Elizabeth II's holds as sovereign for official and private duties, the Duchy of Lancaster, previously known as the privy purse.

Nigel Cawthorne, author of Prince Andrew, Epstein and the Palace, said: "The removal by stealth of Prince Andrew's personal website is a significant step in his reduced role since he stepped back from royal engagements in November last year.

"It makes it increasingly doubtful that the prince will return to royal duties.

"It begs the question whether he can retain his HRH title and still receive money from the privy purse if that is the case.

"The Sussexes were told that they would have to pay for their own protection and this is another matter that should be looked at carefully."

Prince Andrew's full resignation statement read: "It has become clear to me over the last few days that the circumstances relating to my former association with Jeffrey Epstein has become a major disruption to my family's work and the valuable work going on in the many organisations and charities that I am proud to support.

"Therefore, I have asked Her Majesty if I may step back from public duties for the foreseeable future, and she has given her permission.

Prince Andrew With Jeffrey Epstein in Mar-a-Lago
Melania Trump, Prince Andrew, Gwendolyn Beck and Jeffrey Epstein at a party at the Mar-a-Lago club, Palm Beach, Florida, February 12, 2000. Davidoff Studios/Getty

"I continue to unequivocally regret my ill-judged association with Jeffrey Epstein.

"His suicide has left many unanswered questions, particularly for his victims, and I deeply sympathise with everyone who has been affected and wants some form of closure.

"I can only hope that, in time, they will be able to rebuild their lives.

"Of course, I am willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations, if required."

Prince Andrew's Website Now Links to Page With Jeffrey Epstein Statement | News