Prince Harry Drops Royal Title, Asks to Be Introduced by First Name Only at Tourism Conference in Scotland

The Duke of Sussex asked to be introduced as just Harry before addressing a tourism conference in Scotland.

The prince was speaking at the Travalyst event at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre on Wednesday after returning to the U.K. from Canada to carry out his final engagements as a working royal.

Harry would normally be addressed as His Royal Highness but he and wife Meghan will stop using their titles when they step down as working members of the royal family on March 31.

Ayesha Hazarika, who was hosting the event, introduced him to the stage as simply Harry, telling attendees that he had asked for just his first name to be used.

"He's made it clear that we are all just to call him Harry," Hazarika told the gathering, the BBC reported.

During the speech, Harry described Scotland's tourism industry as being at the "forefront" of making the sector more sustainable and said the country could set an example for the rest of the U.K. and the world.

"We don't need to reinvent the wheel, a lot of great work has already been done. But our research again shows that many of these endeavours have failed to reach the conscientiousness of consumers," he told the gathering of people from the tourism and travel industries, according to PA Media.

He added: "We have to work together... to scale up the good practices already being used around the world. Scotland is a great example of what we mean. There is a holistic ambition to Scotland's intent that can be adopted across the UK and even around the world.

"Scotland is one of the fastest-growing tourism destinations worldwide and it's at the forefront of a more sustainable approach, which is why your insight into these issues is so incredibly valuable."

After March 31, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer be working members of the royal family, following their announcement that they wanted to split their time between the U.K. and North America and to be financially independent.

Their official office at Buckingham Palace will close and the couple will be represented by the team behind their charity foundation.

"The Duke and Duchess will be spending their time in both the United Kingdom and North America. In addition to continuing to work closely with their existing patronages as they build a plan for engagements in the U.K. and the Commonwealth throughout the year," a spokesperson for the couple said earlier this month.

"The Duke and Duchess have also been undertaking meetings as part of their ongoing work to establish a new non-profit organization. The details of this new organization will be shared later in the year."

The Sussexes' new arrangement with the royal family will be reviewed after 12 months, the spokesperson added.

The couple will retain their titles as Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as well as other titles including the Earl and Countess of Dumbarton and the Baron and Baroness Kilkeel. Harry will also retain his honorary military titles as a major, lieutenant commander and squadron leader, however, he will not use them during the 12-month transition period.

Prince Harry
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex speaks as he attends a sustainable tourism summit at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre on February 26, 2020 in Edinburgh, Scotland. Andrew Milligan/WPA Pool/Getty Images