Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Alleged Interviews in New Biography Could 'Concern' Royals, Former Palace Aide Says

An upcoming biography of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry by two journalists could cause "concern" for the royals, a former palace press secretary has said.

Thoroughly Modern Royals: The Real World of Harry and Meghan was due to be published on June 23, though may now have been pushed back.

Omid Scobie, royal editor at Harper's Bazaar, and Carolyn Durand, who covers the royals for Elle.com and OprahMag.com, teamed up for the project.

Get your unlimited Newsweek trial >

U.K. newspaper the Mail on Sunday, who Meghan is currently suing, claimed this weekend the couple had co-operated with the authors and given an interview.

However, a source close to the duke and duchess pointed to the fact the authors have not claimed publicly to have based the book on interviews.

The source told Newsweek: "It's not an official or endorsed biography, and does not claim to feature interviews with the duke and duchess."

If any interviews did take place, Buckingham Palace may be eager to know what the couple have said, since their exit from royal duties followed tensions with the royal family.

Get your unlimited Newsweek trial >

Dickie Arbiter, Queen Elizabeth II's former press secretary, told The Times: "There is always concern when there is a book coming out, probably more so on this one if what we read is true: that they have co-operated.

"If they have co-operated then there is concern. It also begs the question how much have they cooperated?"

The 320-page book was available for pre-order for $12.99 from the HarperCollins website and elsewhere but the listing appears to have been pulled.

Web pages which had held details of the book now read "untitled" and show anagrams of the authors' last names, but show the same ISBN and list a revised publication date of August 11 and a new price of $14.99.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, Johannesburg
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, attend a Creative Industries and Business Reception on October 02, 2019 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Chris Jackson/Getty

It is believed the authors began writing in 2018, the year the Duke and Duchess of Sussex got married.

Since then, the couple's lives have changed dramatically after they left the royal family to start a new life in Los Angeles.

The move followed reported palace arguments and run-ins with the British media, who the couple say have maliciously attacked Meghan.

While the work is not thought to be an official biography it may strike a supportive tone. Scobie is one of the journalists trusted by the Sussex camp and given early notice of their events and details of their lives.

Durand has been covering the royal family for 15 years for a U.S. audience and, like Scobie, is based in London.

If the gloves do come off, and Prince Harry and Meghan use the book to reveal their true feelings about the way they were treated by the royals, the results could be dramatic.

Tom Bradby, news anchor on British network ITV, is a friend of the couple and conducted the first interview in which the prince acknowledged a rift with his brother William.

Bradby later wrote a piece for the U.K. Sunday Times, saying: "I have some idea of what might be aired in a full, no-holds-barred sitdown interview and I don't think it would be pretty."

Suggestions the Sussexes are co-operating with friendly journalists have reminded some in Britain of Harry's mother's own attempts to get her side of the story into the public domain.

Princess Diana worked with biographer Andrew Morton after her marriage to Prince Charles collapsed.

Patrick Jephson, her former private secretary, told the Mail on Sunday: "Collaborating with pliable authors and magazine journalists while shunning those deemed awkward is standard royal practice.

"But for Harry and Meghan it's not just about image—for them it's business: a vital part of the self-branding and marketing process."

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Alleged Interviews in New Biography Could 'Concern' Royals, Former Palace Aide Says | World