Pro-Trump Meme Account Carpe Donktum Linked to Creator of Violent Trump Video Briefly Suspended from Twitter

The Twitter account of a prolific pro-Trump meme creator was briefly suspended on Monday, amid backlash over a doctored video that showed President Donald Trump killing journalists and political opponents.

The account of Logan Cook, known by the handle @CarpeDonktum, was offline for about an hour, according to BuzzFeed News. Cook runs the pro-Trump meme website Meme World, and a contributor for the site created the video.

Cook drew media attention after The New York Times reported that the violent video of Trump had been shown at the American Priority Festival and Conference at Trump National Doral Miami Resort last week.

"What they told me in the email is that I was suspended for copyright infringement," Cook told his followers in a Periscope stream after getting his account reinstated. "I believe it was an indefinite or a permanent suspension, which has now been reversed."

A Twitter spokesperson told Newsweek that "per our copyright policy, we respond to valid copyright complaints sent to us by a copyright owner or their authorized representatives." The company said it "had nothing more to share" about who filed the copyright claim.

Cook said that the video in question was posted early February 2018 and was a Super Bowl commercial that "featured no copyrighted content" except a "5-second clip of a song at the very end."

Cook, who denied making the video, was an attendee the social media summit held by Trump in July. The president has previously retweeted content made by Cook, who defended the clip in a statement posted on Monday.

"The Kingsman video is CLEARLY satirical and the violence depicted is metaphoric. No reasonable person would believe that this video was a call to action, or an endorsement of violence towards the media. The only person that could potentially be 'incited' by this video is Donald Trump himself, as the main character of the video is him. THERE IS NO CALL TO ACTION," Cook wrote in a statement published before his Twitter account was suspended. "The MSM could not find any controversy within the conference itself, so they have manufactured this outrage campaign to discredit its success."

As outrage mounted on Monday, Trump's press secretary, Stephanie Grisham, said that the president "has not yet seen the video, he will see it shortly, but based upon everything he has heard, he strongly condemns this video."

By publication time, Trump had not yet commented on the video.

Twitter
This photo illustration taken on March 23, 2018, shows Twitter logos on a computer screen in Beijing. NICOLAS ASFOURI/AFP/Getty Images