Queen Right to Ban Harry and Meghan From Jubilee Balcony, Most Brits Think

A new poll showed that 61 percent of British adults back Queen Elizabeth II's decision to ban Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, along with other non-working royals, from appearing on the Buckingham Palace balcony after the Platinum Jubilee Trooping of the Colour ceremony on June 2.

The survey, conducted by YouGov, asked a sample of 2,981 Britons the question: "It has been reported that during the Queen's Jubilee celebrations only working royals will appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony, meaning the Duke and Duchess of Sussex [Harry & Meghan] will not. Do you think this is the right or the wrong decision?"

Sixty-one percent of respondents said that they felt it was the correct decision to limit the balcony appearance to working royals, with13 percent saying they felt it was the wrong decision. Twelve percent of respondents said that they did not know.

The survey result comes after an announcement was made via Buckingham Palace on Friday that: "After careful consideration, The Queen has decided this year's traditional Trooping the Colour balcony appearance on Thursday 2nd June will be limited to Her Majesty and those Members of the Royal Family who are currently undertaking official public duties on behalf of The Queen."

Harry and Meghan stepped down from their official full-time working roles supporting the monarchy in 2020 before moving to the U.S.

Queen Elizabeth II Meghan Harry Balcony Ban
A survey by YouGov has found that the majority of the British public think the queen's decision to limit royal family members on the palace balcony for the Trooping of the Colour in June is right. Pictured, Queen Elizabeth II with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, who will not be appearing on the palace balcony due to the fact they are no longer working members of the royal family. Chris Jackson/Getty Images

The announcement that the balcony appearance would be limited to just royals who undertake public duties means that the usual crowd of the queen's extended family including a number of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren have been excluded alongside Harry and Meghan.

Buckingham Palace announced that the royals who have been "invited" to join the queen on the balcony are; Prince Charles and Camilla, Prince William and Kate Middleton along with their three children, Prince Edward (the queen's youngest son) and his family and Princess Anne (the queen's daughter) with her husband, Sir Tim Laurence.

The monarch's lesser known first cousins are also among those invited with the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra all undertaking full-time royal duties on her behalf.

The balcony ban eliminates a PR problem for the palace as it also removes any possibility of Prince Andrew joining the royals for the appearance.

The queen's disgraced son stepped down from his official role within the royal family in 2020 and earlier this year stated that he would no longer use his HRH (His Royal Highness) title before settling a sexual assult lawsuit brought against him by Jeffrey Epstien victim, Virginia Giuffre, in the U.S.

The prince has denied any wrongdoing in relation to the claims brought against him by Giuffre but reportedly settled the case to avoid any further embarrassment.

The queen shocked royal watchers when she appeared with Andrew at the service of thanksgiving for the life of Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey in March. The event marked the first official public function that the prince attended since settling his lawsuit for an estimated $10 million and was called a "gobsmacking" move by critics.

Reports circulated as to whether Andrew would try to rehabilitate his image in time for the central weekend of jubilee events in June with royal biographer Omid Scobie telling Newsweek's Royal Report podcast that: "We know that Andrew has been very keen to move on from mistakes from the past and is probably quite keen to play a role in the jubilee this summer, so he doesn't have much time to try and repair his image.

"I think that it's clear that there aren't enough people thinking of the crown in this situation. This reflects so badly on the institution and Andrew has done so much damage in the last few years and continues to do so."

The announcement made by Buckingham Palace on Friday provoked discussion online as to whether this was confirmation that Harry and Meghan would not be in attendance at the jubilee celebrations.

Last month the prince told Today show host Hoda Kotb that he was unsure if he would take his family to the U.K over "security" concerns amidst his ongoing legal dispute with the Home Office over his protection.

These discussions were quickly put to rest when shortly after Buckingham Palace's announcement was made a spokesperson for Harry and Meghan confirmed to Newsweek that the couple would be at the jubilee.

"Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are excited and honoured to attend The Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations this June with their children," the spokesperson said.

Though not appearing on the palace balcony after the Trooping of the Colour ceremony, the Sussexes have yet to confirm which celebrations they will be attending with a pop concert outside Buckingham Palace, a special service of thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral and a Platinum Jubilee pageant all planned to take place across the long weekend.

For more royal news and commentary check out Newsweek's The Royal Report podcast: