Residents Cannot Return to Evacuated Miami Beach Condo Until Structural Issues Addressed

Residents of the North Miami Beach condo will be unable to return until the structural and electrical issues have been addressed, the Associated Press reported.

The building, about five miles from Surfside, where Champlain Towers South collapsed on June 24, must resubmit a new 40-year recertification report that addresses all structural and electrical issues.

The collapse which killed over 60 people and left 80 people missing, prompted an audit of any condo buildings above five stories which found that the 156-unit Crestview Towers, which was built in 1972, had been deemed unsafe in January, officials said.

According to WPLG, until the matters are resolved, residents are staying at temporary shelters. Nearly 300 people were told to leave the Condo on Friday and taken to the county fairgrounds as temporary shelter. Thanks to the Homeless Trust, the residents have since been put up in hotels in the area.

For more reporting from the Associated Press, see below:

Residents put up in temporary housing
Crestview Towers, which is located about five miles from the Champlain Towers South, was evacuated out of "an abundance of caustion" on Friday. The rest of the Champlain South tower is seen being demolished in Surfside, Florida, north of Miami Beach, late on Sunday. Giorgio Viera/Getty Images

On Monday, the condo association submitted surveys by an engineering firm and an electrical engineer that concluded the building's integrity has not been compromised by structural deficiencies outlined in the certification report the association filed in January, according to documents provided by the city. In the January report, an engineer retained by the board had concluded the building was structurally and electrically unsafe for occupancy.

The city said it rejected the two new surveys provided by the condo association because "the documents did not comply with the 40-year certification process, nor did they address the problems raised in the Jan. 11, 2021 recertification report."

In addition, the city released a copy of the current notice of violation provided by Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, noting 18 code violations are still pending.

Last week, City Manager Arthur H. Sorey III said in a news release the evacuation order Friday was issued out of "an abundance of caution."

Crestview is the only building to be evacuated since municipal officials in South Florida, and statewide, began scrutinizing older high-rises in the wake of the Surfside collapse to ensure that substantial structural problems are not being ignored.

After the evacuation order, residents quickly hauled suitcases to cars and left the building. City officials said they were working with residents to find housing.

Residents Unable to Return to Condos Yet
The city of North Miami Beach ordered the evacuation of Crestview Towers, a condominium building Friday after a review found unsafe conditions about five miles from the site of last week's deadly collapse in South Florida. This photo shows the 156-unit Crestview Towers in North Miami Beach, Florida. Rebecca Santana/Associated Press