Suspended Cop Nabbed In Bank Heist, Suspected of Sending Bigoted Texts, Committing Elder Theft

East West Bank
Suspended San Francisco Police Officer Rain Daugherty, 44, was booked on Tuesday after one a bank teller fingered him for ripping off the East West Bank in the Sunset neighborhood on Nov. 29, according to a federal complaint filed on Wednesday in U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California. Google Maps

He handed a San Francisco bank teller a note and made off with almost $10,000. Weeks later, federal authorities determined the robber was actually one of the city's finest.

Rain Daugherty was booked on Tuesday after one of the tellers ID'd him for ripping off the East West Bank in the Sunset neighborhood on Nov. 29, according to a federal affidavit filed this week in federal court by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of California.

The 44-year-old veteran of the San Francisco Police Department devoted almost half his life to policing (he was a 20-year-veteran) and was serving an unpaid suspension after being embroiled in a 2015 civil lawsuit, along with eight other officers, trying to prevent the police brass from handing down punishments for a series of hate-fueled text missives.

But Daugherty was already on the defense.

The affidavit notes that Daugherty was suspended without pay "due to an unrelated and ongoing criminal investigation in San Mateo County."

That purportedly stemmed from a July incident, where Daugherty was hit with charges for fleecing an elderly person and drug possession, The San Francisco Examiner reported.

The cop posted $10,000 bail in the felony case for $100,000, but quickly sidelined.

Some of the bristling texts involving Daugherty and other officers made light of burning crosses and referred to a black person as "a monkey" and "an animal" and were disclosed as part of a federal corruption trial of former SFPD Sgt. Ian Furminger, where the FBI lifted the veil on police misconduct, according to Examiner.

On Nov. 29, surveillance images allegedly captured Daugherty wearing casual attire as he robbed East West Bank.

Two bank tellers working at the time described the robber's clothing and looks, the affidavit states.

They recounted him to be a middle-aged white man, standing 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-8 with gray stubble and sporting a black baseball cap and a green and grey patterned button-down shirt with a long sleeve shirt underneath.

After entering the bank, the robber allegedly approached the female teller standing behind the bank's counter.

Authorities suggest it was Daugherty who passed her a sheet of paper "which demanded money in 50 and 100 dollar bill denominations," according to the affidavit.

The robber, the papers say, then allegedly attempted to muzzle the teller's shrieks, telling her "calm down, just do it."

The teller complied and pulled the cash from a second drawer and handed it to the robber. But a second teller seeing the shakedown, "pressed the alarm" and left the floor to debrief the manager, the affidavit suggests.

Once the cash was handed over, the affidavit states that Daugherty left.

A bulletin was distributed to local law enforcement.

As a result, a pair of Daughtery's fellow cops who claimed to know Daugherty "and his mannerisms" pinned him as the bank robber after analyzing the surveillance images from the bank robbery.

What's more, internal affairs officers managed to have Daugherty on a separate piece of surveillance video from "their unrelated investigation" and "pictured [Daugherty] wearing a button-down shirt identical to the shirt worn by the bank robber," the affidavit notes.

When officers presented the first teller with a photo array, the affidavit goes on, she was "unable to identify any of the individuals" as the crook. But the second teller, who pressed the alarm button and notified the manager while the robbery was in progress "positively identified" Daugherty as the robber in one of the pics.

Daugherty appeared for an arraignment on the robbery charges hearing on Wednesday and was held in custody until Dec. 21, when he expected to return for a detention hearing, a U.S. Attorney's spokesman confirmed.