Sheriff's Deputy Shot Dead During Tense Five-Hour Standoff

A California sheriff's deputy was shot dead and another officer wounded during a five-hour standoff.

Wasco Mayor Alex Garcia confirmed on Sunday that a Kern County sheriff's deputy had been killed after attending reports of a shooting.

In a statement seen by Newsweek, Mayor Garcia praised law enforcement authorities and said it was a "devastating time" for Wasco.

His statement read: "This afternoon, I received news that every Mayor prays to never get. While reporting to a standoff here in Wasco, one of our brave Kern County Sheriff Deputies was killed-in-action and one other was shot and wounded.

"Although this remains an ongoing situation, at this time I would like share that my heart goes out to the families of both the deputies. Nothing can prepare us for tragedies such as these."

It continued: "In an instant, our lives can change forever. I pray that God surrounds these families with his love and gives them the strength to make it through this devastating time.

"I would also like to take the time to thank all our brothers and sisters in the law enforcement and first responder community who valiantly put their lives on the line to protect our residents. I cannot thank you enough for the work you do. May God bless you all."

End of Watch 7/25/21. Thank you for your service to Kern! #KCSO #RIP 🙏🏽

— Mayor Alex Garcia (@MayorAlexGarcia) July 26, 2021

According to the Fresno Bee, the two officers raced to a home on the 100 block of First Street at 1 p.m. on Sunday after hearing reports of a shooting that also said people were down at the property.

When officers arrived they were shot at by someone inside the home, but they managed to avoid being hit and successfully took cover.

When a SWAT team arrived at around 2:50 p.m. they tried to enter the home, which prompted the person inside to start firing again.

The Fresno Bee reported that both officers were then struck by bullets and they were taken to a nearby hospital.

It was later confirmed the sheriff's deputy had died as a result of the serious injuries he had suffered.

Suspect Taken to the Hospital

The Kern County Sheriff's Office (KCSO) told the outlet that at around 6:28 p.m. the suspect and deputies started to exchange gunfire.

It was reported the suspect was later taken into custody and then to a hospital. His condition wasn't revealed.

When officers entered the home they found two people who had been wounded, but they did not expand on the extent of their injuries.

Newsweek has contacted KCSO for comment.

Birmingham woman charged with manslaughter
File photo of yellow law enforcement line with police car and lights in the background. The sheriff's deputy was shot dead on Sunday. carlballou/iStock / Getty Images Plus