Shooting Rampage in Canada Leaves 16 Dead, Authorities Say

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said a 51-year-old man went on a shooting rampage Sunday, killing 16 people—including one police officer—in Nova Scotia.

RCMP Chief Superintendent Chris Leather said the suspect, Gabriel Wortman, has died.

"In excess of 10 people have been killed," Leather said, according to The Associated Press. "We believe it to be one person who is responsible for all the killings and that he alone moved across the northern part of the province and committed what appears to be several homicides."

The CBC said there have been 16 deaths from the shooting spree. It is unclear whether the figure includes Wortman.

A police officer was among those killed in the rampage, according to Brian Sauvé, who is president of National Police Federation union. RCMP identified the officer as RCMP Const. Heidi Stevenson, who served 23 years on the force and left behind a husband and two children.

RCMP said another officer had been shot and is receiving treatment for non-life-threatening injuries.

No motive was known for the attack, but police believe it was not a random act. Details of all those who were killed have not yet been released.

"My heart goes out to everyone affected in what is a terrible situation," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has spoken with the RCMP commissioner and Nova Scotia's premier to offer his condolences. He says: 'The people of Nova Scotia are strong and resilient, and we will be here to support them as they heal from this tragedy.' Full statement: pic.twitter.com/EeF2pASjal

— CBC News Alerts (@CBCAlerts) April 19, 2020

Details about the events surrounding the shooting have begun to emerge, and reports indicate that police urged residents in the rural town of Portapique to lock themselves in their homes as there was an active shooter situation.

RCMP said the shooter was wearing what looked to be part of a Mountie uniform.

Several residents also made reports of building fires Saturday night. Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil said he did not expect to wake up Sunday to hear of an active shooter that led to a nightmare for his province.

"I never imagined when I went to bed last night that I would wake up to the horrific news that an active shooter was on the loose in Nova Scotia," McNeil said. "This is one of the most senseless acts of violence in our province's history."

The hunt for Wortman lasted through the night and ended Sunday when police received a report of a man at the Enfield Big Stop on Highway 102 who matched the description of him.

Tom Taggart, a local lawmaker in Portapique, said the events shook his community.

"This is just an absolutely wonderful, peaceful quiet community and the idea that this could happen in our community is unbelievable," Taggart said from his home in Bass River.

This is a developing story, and more details will be provided when they become available.

police car
stock photo vmargineanu/ iStock / Getty Images Plus/Getty