Speculation Circles Online About Death Toll in Astroworld Tragedy

Earlier this month, tens of thousands of music fans were getting ready to attend Travis Scott's Astroworld music festival in Houston, Texas. On Friday, the first night of what was intended to be a two-day festival, hundreds were injured and eight people died as the crowd surged toward the front as Scott took the stage, Newsweek previously reported.

In the days following the tragedy, many variables have been taken into account when trying to figure out how the casualties could have occurred. Many people are pointing to the rapper himself saying he did not stop the show fast enough after things began going south.

The Associated Press said that Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said police noticed concert goers "going down" at 9:30 p.m. local time and immediately notified the festival organizers.

The event was called off 40 minutes later following discussions with the fire department and officials from NRG Park, where the festival took place, the Associated Press reported.

City officials said that there was a concern that shutting down the concert would cause more chaos. The New York Times reported that it was not clear how much could be seen from the stage or when concert organizers became aware of how serious the situation had become.

The Times is also reporting that Scott's close ties to the city of Houston could present a conflict of interest as the investigations continue.

Speculations continued to spiral online as some questioned if the death toll is higher than the eight people currently being reported.

In a video posted to TikTok by @forever__asia, she shows footage of an Astroworld Festival memorial across the street from the venue. The memorial is filled with flowers, photos and one shot shows a festival wristband laying on the ground. She also showed a poster that had been hung and appeared to be signed by people sharing their condolences. Commenters on the video expressed their suspicion that the death toll is higher than reported.

"Why are there so many names on that poster? names i havent heard about," one user wrote.

"I still do not believe that it was only 8 people who passed. Out of a huge crowd of thousands, I don't believe it," another wrote.

Others said the additional names might be from people signing their own names when writing notes of condolences.

Astroworld memorial
Some people are speculating that more than the reported eight people lost their lives during the Astroworld tragedy. A memorial to those who died at the Astroworld festival is displayed outside of NRG Park on November 9 in Houston, Texas. Brandon Bell/Getty Images

A concertgoer named Billy Nasser appeared on CNN's Cuomo Prime Time this week and shared similar concerns over the reported number of lives lost.

"It was overcrowded. The way the barricades were set up had people trapped in. It was a death trap," Nasser said.

"I've never seen a dead person before," he continued. "To see kids on the ground with their eyes rolling back to their head. And for the media to be underreporting deaths, it's kind of, really, frustrating."

Nassar said that even before Scott came on stage the crowds were packed tight.

"There was not even a centimeter you could fit between the person next to you."

He said just 10 minutes into the concert, he saw the first dead body. As far as he could tell, he told Cuomo, the person had passed out and was getting trampled.

A spokesperson for the Houston Police Department told Newsweek that the department is not discussing specifics of the investigation though a press conference will be held at 3:30 p.m. CST on November 10.