Authorities Name Kyrgyz National as Suspected St. Petersburg Bomber

Russian president Vladimir Putin puts flowers down in St. Petersburg
Russian president Vladimir Putin puts flowers down outside Tekhnologicheskiy Institut metro station in St. Petersburg, Russia, April 3. Grigory Dukor/TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY/Reuters

Updated | The person suspected of bombing of a St. Petersburg metro station on Monday is a Kyrgyzstan native who had Russian citizenship, according to the Kyrgyzstan security service.

At around 2.30 p.m. local time, there was an explosion on a train between two subway stations. The death toll was raised from 11 to 14 on Tuesday morning after three people died in hospital, while 49 others were injured, according to the BBC. Russian authorities have described the explosion as a "terrorist act."

Kyrgyzstan's security service has identified the bomber as Akbarzhon Jalilov, 22 and said he was born in Osh, the country's second-largest city, in 1995, the BBC reported. Jalilov had lived in Russia for six years, The Guardian reported, citing news agencies.

There are conflicting reports as to whether the attack was a suicide bombing or whether the suspect managed to flee the incident. It is also unclear whether the bomber was acting alone or as part of a wider network. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

St. Petersburg's authorities have declared three days of mourning. The city is the birthplace of Russian President Vladimir Putin, who was in St. Petersburg at the time of the blast. Putin visited the scene of the incident on Monday evening to lay flowers at an impromptu shrine set up for the victims.

U.S. President Donald Trump called Putin following the attack and "expressed his deepest condolences to the victims and their loved ones, and to the Russian people." Trump also offered the "full support" of the U.S. in finding the people behind the attack, according to a White House readout of the call.

Other world leaders, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel and European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini, also condemned the attack.

Initial reports suggested that there had been two explosions, one at Sennaya Ploshchad and one at Tekhnologichesky Institut subway stations. But the Russian National Anti-Terrorist Committee later confirmed that there had been a single explosion between the two stations. The committee said there was a second device that police disarmed at Ploshchad Vosstania station.

The train continued to its next station after the blast, a decision praised by investigators as it allowed the injured to be treated more quickly.

This story has been updated to reflect an increase in the death toll.