Venomous Snake Bites Australian 3-Year-Old in Alarming Video

While spending a day with her grandmother in Mandurah, Australia, 3-year-old Lucia Carna was bit by a venomous snake, thought to be a dugite. Thankfully, her grandmother performed first-aid that doctors said was key to saving the young girl's life.

A security camera caught footage of the snake attack, which happened on December 17. The video shows the young girl standing in a yard near a pool, when suddenly she starts to fret and scream. At one point she yells, "Nan, a snake," before running over to her grandmother, Jill. Her nan and brother are both visible in the video, and her grandmother carries Lucia off to help her.

According to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), Lucia's grandmother made sure she stayed still and wrapped her legs in bandages, while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.

Lucia's mother, Holly Carna, told ABC that even though the news of a snake biting your child isn't a call you ever want to get, her "thought was 'Mum can handle that.'"

"What we were told at the hospital was that Mum's actions immediately after had made a massive difference," Carna said.

Her mother's immediate and helpful care also inspired Carna to advocate for everyone learning first-aid, to help in situations like the one her family just faced. "When you think about getting your first-aid, you think you're going to come across a car accident, or a person at the restaurant is going to have a heart attack and you're going to be needed," she said. "It's more likely you're going to be using it on someone that you spend a lot of time with, someone you love."

A dugite, the snake that's believed to have bitten the child, is a venomous snake that can be dangerous if you're bitten by one. Although it's deadly, the Perth Zoo notes that the snake is actually less venomous and less aggressive than its relatives, the eastern brown snake. The Perth Zoo also points out that while dugites are indeed poisonous, they're "not very aggressive."

Experts told ABC that the best immediate treatment for a snake bite is to use a bandage to keep pressure on the wound, to prevent the venom from circulating throughout the body and causing cardiac arrest before the victim can even receive more in-depth treatment. They also said that should a person go into cardiac arrest, CPR should be performed to increase the victim's chances of making it to the hospital and being administered anti-venom. These are all tactics that can be taught in a basic first-aid course.

Lucia's mother said that, despite her daughter having faced the snake herself, the child has made a recovery and seems unaffected by the attack. "I think Nanna is more fazed, and I'm more fazed and Dad—she's not worried at all," Carna told ABC.

Newsweek reached out to Holly Carna via Facebook message for comment.

Australia Eastern Brown Snake Dugite
This photo taken on September 25, 2012 shows a deadly Australia eastern brown snake -- which has enough venom to kill 20 adults with a single bite -- rearing up as a snake catcher approaches in the Sydney suburb of Terrey Hills. The snake believed to have bitten the three year-old was a relative of the eastern brown snake, a dugite. WILLIAM WEST/AFP/Getty