TikTok Responds to Trump Executive Order, Vows to Fight: 'We Are Shocked'

TikTok has vowed to fight an executive order issued by President Donald Trump which could see the app banned in the United States.

Trump on Thursday signed an order to ban the app citing concerns that data it collected could be transferred to the Chinese Communist Party.

In a statement, TikTok said: "We are shocked by the recent Executive Order, which was issued without any due process.

"For nearly a year, we have sought to engage with the US government in good faith to provide a constructive solution to the concerns that have been expressed."

TikTok, a platform based around short-form video content, added: "What we encountered instead was that the Administration paid no attention to facts, dictated terms of an agreement without going through standard legal processes, and tried to insert itself into negotiations between private businesses."

The statement insisted "TikTok will be here for many years to come" and went on to claim there has been "no due process or adherence to the law," in regards to its treatment.

Due to this, TikTok said it would consider taking legal action to ensure it is "treated fairly."

"We will pursue all remedies available to us in order to ensure that the rule of law is not discarded and that our company and our users are treated fairly – if not by the Administration, then by the US courts," the statement said.

TikTok also again rejected the notion of it handing data to the Chines government, adding: "We have made clear that TikTok has never shared user data with the Chinese government, nor censored content at its request. In fact, we make our moderation guidelines and algorithm source code available in our Transparency Center, which is a level of accountability no peer company has committed to. We even expressed our willingness to pursue a full sale of the US business to an American company."

TikTok has long pushed back against these suggestions, with a spokesperson insisting earlier this year that the security of the app was its top priority.

"TikTok is led by an American CEO, with hundreds of employees and key leaders across safety, security, product, and public policy here in the U.S. We have no higher priority than promoting a safe and secure app experience for our users. We have never provided user data to the Chinese government, nor would we do so if asked," they said.

Newsweek has contacted the White House in regards to the statement.

TikTok declined to comment further following its statement.

The executive order looks to prohibit Americans from transactions with TikTok's parent company, Beijing-based ByteDance.

The prospect of legal challenge was always likely, with there also being the scope for legal interpretation over the definition of the transactions prohibited.

It came after the Senate voted unanimously Thursday to ban federal employees from using TikTok on devices issued by the government.

The Trump administration has long pushed against TikTok, with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo suggesting earlier this year it could be outlawed in the United States.

It was previously banned in India, further sparking speculation it could meet the same fate in the United States.

tiktok
n this photo illustration, a mobile phone featuring the TikTok app is displayed next to the American flag on August 03, 2020. An executive order could see the app banned in the United States. Cindy Ord/Getty Images
TikTok Responds to Trump Executive Order, Vows to Fight: 'We Are Shocked' | U.S.