Toddler Taken to Hospital after Swallowing Antipsychotic Medication She Found in Her Trick-or-Treat Halloween Bucket

A toddler has been hospitalized after she ate an antipsychotic drug she found in her Halloween candy bucket on Thursday.

The three-year-old girl, named only Abby by Nine.com.au, had been trick-or-treating in Victoria, Australia, before she fell ill.

Abby had collected candy on Hallets Way in Bacchus Marsh, 50km northwest of Melbourne. At around 8pm she told her mother she wasn't feeling well, and that she had eaten something "yucky."

Tara Robe, her mother, said her daughter became "zonked and wobbly on her feet."

To try to get to the bottom of her toddler's condition, Tara looked inside her trick-or-treating bucket and discovered around five or six tablets.

The pills were Seroquel, an antipsychotic drug used to treat mental disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. The drug reduces hallucinations, and helps people with such conditions concentrate.

Abby had found the drugs in a zip lock bag among her Halloween candy.

A little after 8 p.m., neighbours called an ambulance for the toddler. She was taken to Sunshine Hospital in St. Albans, a suburb of Melbourne.

The girl was in her halloween costume when she arrived at the facility, according to NewsHub.Nz, which spelled her name "Abbey."

Victoria Police have launched an investigation into the incident. However, they told Nine.com.au they are treating it as an isolated case, and do not believe anyone acted maliciously. Police did not receive any reports of similar incidents in the area.

The girl is back home, according to NewsHub.nz, and was unharmed. Her mother has checked over the other sweets in her bucket to make sure they are safe.

Robe told NewsHub.nz she thinks the drugs were put in her daughter's bucket on purpose. "I reckon someone did it yeah, I believe they did," she said.

"I was panicking. I didn't know what to do...I thought she was going to die," she said.

"As she was going into the ambulance that's just when she just⁠—I couldn't wake her up," Robe told Newshub.

Neighbor Eva Savav-Tancev told Nine.com.au: "She [Robe] was concerned about getting the child some medical help and getting her husband to come down and looking after her other three children at the same time. She was like the Superman."

Speaking to NewsHub.nz, she said: "There was a sense of rush from the paramedics saying to the mum 'We have to go right now'."

To stay safe on Halloween, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises trick-or-treaters to examine treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them, and avoiding homemade treats made by strangers.

halloween, jack o lantern, trick treat, stock
A stock image shows a Halloween candy bucket. A toddler in Australia fell ill after eating medication she found in her trick-or-treat candy collection. Getty