It is thought to be the first case of an NSTI—a condition which makes the skin die as if it has been devoured—in someone with a healthy immune system.
Ashley Cope is thought to have caught the infection during a cosmetic procedure.
The boy's mother says she's struggling to put food on the table as she has taken so much time off work to be by his side.
The tapeworms usually live in the intestines of dogs and cats, but they can also infect humans.
Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare, potentially fatal infection caused by several different types of bacteria which move rapidly through the body, attacking the skin and soft tissue.
The father of two is in a critical condition after catching the bug.
Tests revealed he had become infected with a bacteria that causes a rare disease known as necrotizing fasciitis.
Even a rise in temperature of a degree or two can can increase the number of one particular type of "flesh-eating" bacteria in ocean water, an expert told "Newsweek".
George Billiris says he's thankful his 10-year-old grandson didn't catch the potentially deadly infection.
Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare, potentially fatal infection caused by several different types of bacteria.
The man's wife has taken to social media to warn others about the dangers of potentially-fatal necrotizing fasciitis.
The bacteria is rare but exposure to it is often fatal.
The dangerous bacteria seem to be popping up everywhere.
A carpenter working on demolition became the third person to become seriously ill, and the second to die from the disease following the storm recovery efforts.
Researchers know little about the disease, including how it's spread.
In a total coincidence, the same Houston hospital saw a patient with a flesh-eating infection, then published a paper about how it kills.
This bacteria has an unusual cell structure that may make it more virulent.
The freaky infection that may cause illness akin to flesh-eating bacteria can turn a lovely day at the beach or a seafood dinner into a nightmare.