Cryptococcus neoformans' natural habitat of bird droppings may have allowed it to adapt to living in cerebrospinal fluid in the brain.
At the hospital, tests revealed the 25-year-old had meningitis, which doctors said could have been fatal if found later.
The snails carry the parasite rat lungworm, "known to cause meningitis in humans," the state's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said.
The agency is encouraging take-up of the MenACWY vaccine amid "one of the worst outbreaks of meningococcal disease among gay and bisexual men in U.S. history."
Alice Jenkins wants to make other young people aware of the risks of the deadly illness, which particularly impacts teenagers.
The college student was admitted to intensive care with multiple organ failure and necrosis of his skin after eating his flatmate's lo mein.
Jon Aquino, a father of two from New Jersey, also developed sepsis and suffered from liver and kidney failure.
Medical staff diagnosed the woman with bacterial meningitis caused by the bacteria pasteurella multocida.
At the moment, there are no antiviral drugs that can treat or prevent rhinoviruses and enteroviruses.
"I could have lost a finger or hand, or the way the doctor described it, even worse," fisherman Colby Milward said.
Joy turned to disaster for the Partridge family.
Kendra Jackson lost half a pint of brain fluid from her nose every day because of a cerebrospinal fluid leak