Transfer News: Chelsea Close to Appointing New Manager, Man United Targets Spurs Defender

Chelsea’s quest for a new manager could be nearing the end, with former France manager Laurent Blanc reportedly set to replace Antonio Conte at Stamford Bridge.

According to the Daily Express, the Blues have opted against paying the $9.4 million release clause that Napoli wants to release former manager Maurizio Sarri and are not willing to meet the wage demands of former Barcelona manager Luis Enrique.

GettyImages-526485730 Laurent Blanc during his spell at Paris Saint-Germain in 2016. The 1998 World Cup winner is close to become Chelsea's new manager. Franck Fife/AFP/Getty Images

Blanc, meanwhile, is currently without a job and seemingly fits the billing perfectly for the 2017 Premier League champions.

However, the Daily Telegraph believes Chelsea is yet to make a decision on Conte, with the club reluctant to pay the $12.1 million required to let the Italian go. The Blues, however, would not have to pay anything if Conte walked straight into another job, and the paper suggests Chelsea hopes the Italian will replace Zinedine Zidane at Real Madrid.

Away from the dugout, the Blues are reportedly interested in signing West Bromwich Albion striker Salomon Rondon. According to the Daily Mirror, the 28-year-old has emerged as a surprise target for Chelsea, with West Ham and Tottenham Hotspur also interested in the Venezuelan international, who has a release clause of $21.5 million.

The latter is also interested in Anthony Martial, and the Daily Mail reports Spurs plan to launch a bid for the Manchester United forward as early as next week. The Frenchman might not be the only player subject of discussion between the two clubs, with the Daily Telegraph suggesting United is ready to turn its attention to Spurs defender Toby Alderweireld.

The 20-time champions of England completed the signing of Shakhtar Donetsk midfield Fred on Tuesday but are now looking to bolster their defensive options.

Moving across Manchester, the Daily Mirror claims Manchester City is considering offering Oleksandr Zinchenko to Napoli in part exchange for Jorginho after having a $69.8 million offered for the Brazil-born Italy international rejected.

City appears to have had little luck with Serie A midfielders so far this summer, with The Sun claiming the defending Premier League champions had a $67.1 million bid for Miralem Pjanic turned down by Juventus.

Arsenal is also looking for a midfielder and the Daily Express claim the club has been told it must pay $47 million for Sevilla midfielder Steven N’Zonzi.

Meanwhile, the Liverpool Echo reports Jurgen Klopp wants to bring Nigerian international Moses Simon to Anfield. It is unlikely Liverpool would have to break the bank for Simon as the winger, who currently plays for Belgian side Gent, should be available for around $13.4 million.

In the blue half of Liverpool, meanwhile, the purse strings might be about to be tightened.

Everton's new director of football, Marcel Brands, has told the Guardian that club’s owner Farhad Moshiri will not bankroll another spending spree this summer and that the priority will be on reducing the wage bill.

Elsewhere, the Daily Mirror believes Leicester City has emerged as the front-runners in the race for Jonny Evans, who is one of the many players expected to leave West Bromwich Albion after the Baggies were relegated last season.

Editor's Pick