Travel Company Defends Behavior of 1,300 Men Who Turned Cruise Ship Into Massive Burlesque Show

A representative for cruise line Royal Caribbean International has defended the behavior of the 1,300 Indian men who were accused of running amok on board a cruise and making other passengers’ lives a misery.

Passengers on the Voyager of the Seas were reportedly given refunds after the ship was "overrun" by 1,300 employees from tobacco company Kamla Pasand on September 6.

The complainants described wild parties and takeovers of the pool decks, bars and buffets.

One passenger reported burlesque dancers and a cabaret that led to the bingo being canceled, in claims that were broadcast on the Australian news program A Current Affair.

But Ratna Chadha, CEO of Tirun Travel Marketing—the Indian representative of Royal Caribbean—defended the Indian guests and said that only six other passengers had problems with their behavior.

“Some Australians complained of wild partying by the Indian group shortly after leaving the port of Sydney."

"The Indian group was appropriately dressed and did not create any nuisance. The pool area was shut down after the mandated time,” she told the Times of India.

Many Indians took to social media to voice their criticism of the travelers, while others said they were just having a good time.

GettyImages-800786892 A representative for the firm that booked the cruise for tourist accused of running amok on a Royal Caribbean International cruise, has defended their behavior. (Representational Image) Getty

One of the passengers, Cassandra Riini, from Western Sydney, told A Current Affair, “It was almost like a huge bucks [bachelor] party– a bucks night for 1200 people. Their doors would be open, and you would walk past and be like 'what am I going to be looking at when I walk past this door?'”

But Chadha disputed this account, telling the Times of India: “Even if the Indian group created a nuisance, why didn’t the Australians complain to the authorities on the ship itself?” 

“They complained about it after the trip got over. The ship is always at liberty to take control of situations if these are not in sync with the guest conduct policy."

“But there was no action required as the group with within the ship’s mandate. Of the 3,900 passengers on the ship it seems that only six Australians had an issue,” she added.

Royal Caribbean said an investigation had been carried out.

Royal Caribbean said: “We operate with the safety of our guests and crew as our highest priority, and are currently looking into all guest feedback regarding this incident to ensure it does not happen again.”

Join the Discussion