Trump Says Federal Agents Will Stay in Portland—But They Already Left

President Donald Trump said that federal agents will remain in the city of Portland, Oregon, until police deal with the "Anarchists and Agitators" in the city even though there were peaceful protests after the agents withdrew from the demonstrations.

Thousands of people took to the streets of Portland on Friday night and once again gathered outside the federal courthouse, which has become the focal point of the protests against police brutality.

However, there was none of the disorder which has taken in recent weeks after Oregon State Police took over policing the courthouse instead of the federal agents which were brought in by the Trump administration.

The Guardian reported that state troopers did not intervene as strong handily as the federal police, who have been accused of using excessive force and manhandling protesters into unmarked vehicles, even as they shook the gates surrounding the courthouse.

Those at the protest spoke out about the law enforcement's response to demonstrations.

"The value of human life matters more than graffiti on a building," one person said, according to The Oregonian. "Human life matters more than rattling a fence."

Despite the peaceful gathering, Trump wrote in a tweet late on Friday: "Homeland Security is not leaving Portland until local police complete cleanup of Anarchists and Agitators!"

This follows on from a previous tweet in which Trump accused Oregon Governor Kate Brown of not "doing her job."

"She must clear out, and in some cases arrest, the Anarchists & Agitators in Portland. If she can't do it, the Federal Government will do it for her. We will not be leaving until there is safety!"

Several social media users pointed out how the first night that state troopers patrolled the courthouse saw tensions between protesters and law enforcement offices ease.

Oregon Live also reported that by 11 p.m protesters were not engaging in disruptive actions seen in recent weeks such as shining lasers, holding up reflective surfaces against agents, letting off fireworks and throwing objects over the fence.

The local police force is also said to have stayed away from the demonstrations.

"This is a sign of power. We all have that power," Gary Floyd, 51, told the crowd. "As long as you have this, there's nothing in that building, or anybody in that building, can do."

Governor Brown said the removal of federal agents in Portland was necessary as they acted as an "occupying force, refused accountability, and brought violence and strife to our community."

"After discussions with the Vice President and administration officials this week, the federal government has agreed to my demand and will withdraw these officers from Portland. They will also clean up the Courthouse, removing the graffiti," Brown said on Wednesday.

"The local Oregon officers of the Oregon State Police will provide protection for free speech and the security of the exterior of the courthouse with the Federal Protective Service. A limited contingent of federal officials, who act as building security year-round, will remain and will stay focused on the interior of the U.S. Courthouse

"I have grown increasingly concerned at the nightly confrontation between local community members and federal officers. We need to recognize that the protests in Portland are not solely about the federal presence.

"They started before federal agents descended on our city and they will likely continue after they leave."

A demonstrators holding a US flag stands in a cloud of tear gas outside the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse during a night of protest against racial injustice, police brutality and the deployment of federal troops to US cities on July 29, 2020 in Portland, Oregon. ALISHA JUCEVIC/AFP/Getty