Tyson Fury Meeting Donald Trump Would Be 'a Great Point to Bow Out,' Says Boxer's Dad

Tyson Fury's father believes meeting President Donald Trump at the White House would be the perfect occasion for his son to mark his retirement from boxing.

Fury delivered a boxing masterclass on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, stopping Deontay Wilder in seven rounds to end the Bronze Bomber's five-year reign as World Boxing Council (WBC) heavyweight champion.

Following the fight, Fury said he expected Wilder to exercise his right to demand a third fight, while British promoter Eddie Hearn suggested the newly-crowned WBC champion should fight Anthony Joshua to give the heavyweight division its first undisputed world champion in two decades.

Fury's father John, however, believes it's time for his son to bow out on top after his stunning win over Wilder.

"I can see the joy in his face, his life is complete now," he told ITV's Good Morning Britain show on Monday.

"And now there is a difference about him. When he beat [Wladimir] Klitschko [in November 2015] the first time his body language wasn't great. This time he's on top of the world. He is right where he should be."

'He's on top of the world... so it's time for Tyson to bow out'

Tyson Fury's dad wants his son to retire from boxing following his win at the weekend... and thinks a meeting with President Trump at the White House would be the perfect way to mark the occasion. pic.twitter.com/mG2czaOyiV

— Good Morning Britain (@GMB) February 24, 2020

Fury defeated Klitschko by unanimous decision in November 2015 to claim the WBA, IBF, WBO, IBO, Lineal and The Ring heavyweight titles.

However, he was stripped of his IBF belt as the fight against Klitschko included a rematch clause—which precluded the Briton from fighting the IBF's mandatory challenge.

Fury then vacated the other belts pending an anti-doping case about his cocaine use and a failed anti-doping test. A seemingly unstoppable fall from grace saw Fury endure a 31-month hiatus from the sport, during which his weight ballooned from 260 pounds to nearly 400 pounds as he battled depression and addiction to drugs and alcohol.

The Gypsy King then embarked on a comeback that was as improbable as it has been exhilarating, returning to the ring in June 2018 before earning a split draw against Wilder against all odds in their first fight six months later.

Saturday marked Fury's return to the top of the heavyweight division, which earned him praise from a host of boxing greats, high-profile figures in the world of sports and even Trump.

"Two great fighters," the president told reporters at the White House on Sunday when asked what he had made of the fight between Fury and Wilder.

"It was really very exciting. Maybe we have to bring them both to the White House—I don't know—because that was really a good one. I think we'll do that."

Visiting the White House would be the perfect way to sign off from boxing, according to Fury's father, a self-confessed fan of the U.S. president.
"That's good for a Fury isn't it?" John, a former boxer himself, told Good Morning Britain.

"It's been an amazing journey and look where it's ended. And what a great point to bow out on—a meeting in the White House."

On Saturday night, Fury became the first fighter to defeat Wilder in the Alabama native's 44th professional bout. The Briton had outboxed his opponent when the two met in Los Angeles 15 months ago, but adopted a far more attacking approach in Las Vegas.

In the third round, Fury became the first man in a decade to send the American to the canvas after delivering a smashing right hand to the temple.

Wilder had last been knocked down by Harold Sconiers nearly a decade and some 30 fights ago, before recovering to win by KO.

There was no repeat of such a scenario on Saturday, as Fury floored him again in the fifth with a clubbing body shot, before continuing his assault in the next round.

With Wilder unsteady on his legs and bleeding from his left ear, Fury picked off the American—who was making his 11th defense—at will, before Wilder's camp threw in the towel at the 1:39 mark in the seventh round.

Tyson Fury
British boxer Tyson Fury celebrates after defeating Deontay Wilder in the seventh round during their WBC Heavyweight Championship Title boxing match at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on February 22. Mark Ralston/AFP/Getty