U.S. Government Workers Reportedly Among Those Donating to 'Freedom Convoy'

As Americans continue to donate money to the Canadian Freedom Convoy, some donors might have influential ties to the U.S. government.

An investigation by Canadian newspaper, The Globe and Mail, claims that some American contributors to the convoy's funds are government workers. Other contributors include entrepreneurs in the tech industry, small-business owners, and those who believe in conspiracy theories such as Q-Anon. This report comes as the U.S. prepares to have its own convoy descend onto Washington, D.C. in March.

Among the government agencies listed in the Globe and Mail report as having employees donate to the convoy is the U.S. Department of Justice, NASA, the Bureau of Prisons, and the Transportation Safety Authority. Due to privacy concerns and the ability to put down an alias during the donation process, many of these employees were not publicly identified by the newspaper.

However, some prominent employees did end up having their identities confirmed. One of these was Rachel Shub, who worked as a career trade negotiator for the United States Trade Representative. This division is responsible for negotiating trade agreements between the U.S. and other countries. Shub declined to comment to The Globe and Mail about the donation.

Newsweek has reached out to the United States Trade Representative office for comment on Shub's donation and subsequent departure but has not received a response.

Truckers protest vaccine mandates in Canada
Truckers refuel their trucks in the cold during the Freedom Convoy truck protest on February 5, 2022 in Ottawa, Canada. Government workers are reportedly among the many U.S. citizens that have donated to the convoy. Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images

Another worker whose records were identifiable in the newspaper's data was Delaware state employee Rich Paprcka. According to The Globe and Mail, he serves as the chief operating officer of Dart First State, the public transportation agency of Delaware. While he did not respond to comment, the Delaware government did provide a statement to the newspaper.

"The department is aware of this report containing Mr. Paprcka's information and is addressing it internally," Delaware state spokesman C.R. McLeod told The Globe and Mail in an email.

These donations come as an expected American offshoot of the convoy is on track to begin on February 23. Newsweek previously reported that the organizers for the American event estimate that around 1,000 trucks are expected to drive from Barstow, California to Washington, D.C. mainly in protest of mandates regarding COVID-19 vaccinations.

"The Canadian convoy was pretty organic when it happened," said organizer Maureen Steele. "Ours, they had a month's notice, so our concern is disruptive groups coming in. We're trying to just prepare for counter-protests and to take safety precautions for that."

The organizers also wrote on Facebook that the protest has less to do with politics "but more so about a government that has forgotten its place and has no regard for our founding fathers' instructions."