U.S. Green Card Holder Says Nation 'Lied to Us,' Left Them Behind in Afghanistan

A U.S. green card holder from Richmond, Virginia, and his family are stranded in Afghanistan and said America "lied to us" and left them behind after promising that they would be evacuated, the Associated Press reported.

As U.S. evacuation efforts in Afghanistan were underway during its final days, Javed Habibi was getting phone calls from the U.S. government telling him not to worry and that his wife and four daughters would be evacuated. However, Habibi remains in Kabul along with hundreds of U.S. citizens and green card holders after the last evacuation flight departed from Afghanistan.

"What does this green card even mean? Nothing. They did nothing," said Habibi, who is an electrician. His special immigration visa has allowed him to live in Virginia since 2015.

Habibi and his family visited Afghanistan for the first time since 2019 on June 22 and were supposed to return to the U.S. on August 31.

For more reporting from the Associated Press, see below.

 "Extend the Evacuation" of Afghanistan Sign
A U.S. green card holder said the U.S. lied to him and his family and left them behind in Afghanistan. Above, a demonstrator holds up an Extend the Evacuation sign as others chant during a Save Afghan Lives protest in Lafayette Park in front of the White House on August 28, 2021, in Washington, D.C. Liz Lynch/Getty Images

Habibi was told to stay home and not worry, that they would be evacuated.

Late Monday, however, his heart sank as he heard that the final U.S. flights had left Kabul's airport, followed by the blistering staccato sound of Taliban gunfire, celebrating what they saw as their victory over America.

Victoria Nuland, undersecretary of state for political affairs, would not address individual cases but said all U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents who could not get evacuation flights or were otherwise stranded had been contacted individually in the past 24 hours and told to expect further information about routes out once those have been arranged.

"We will communicate directly to them personalized instructions on what they should do, when they should do it, and how the United States government feels we are best positioned to help them do that," added State Department spokesman Ned Price.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken praised the evacuation effort despite the scenes of thousands of people jammed outside the gates at Kabul's airport. He said between 100 and 200 remained in Afghanistan, promising that any American who wants to leave Afghanistan would be taken out.

For some of those who remain, however, the trauma of trying for nearly two weeks to get onto a U.S. plane is still harrowing.

About August 18, Habibi said he got an email from the U.S. government saying that his family—all green card holders except for their youngest, who has a U.S. passport—would be evacuated.

Subsequent emails said he should take his family to the airport. He obeyed, but the mad crush of people prevented him from getting near the gate on his first two attempts.

His daughter, Madina, who at 15 has flawless English and serves as the family spokesperson, said she and her younger sister were almost trampled at the airport. The family wrote back, "It's too dangerous. We can't go into the crowd," she said.

The emails kept arriving, saying they should go to the airport, she said.

By August 25, the emails had been replaced by phone calls from Arlington, Virginia, Madina said. The callers, who identified themselves as being from the U.S. Embassy, told the family to stay at home and that the government was aware of their location, she said, speaking for her father.

Habibi said he still made four or five more attempts, even recruiting friends and relatives to wade into the crowd with the family, forming a kind of protective cordon. The youngest of the four girls, Dunya, is 2 and was born in the U.S.

Habibi said that on at least two occasions, he got close enough to the gate that his passport was scanned but was refused entry. He shouted at the U.S. soldiers, waving his documents.

Madina, who spoke to most of the callers from Virginia, said she told them the family was from Richmond. Even as the evacuations came to an end, Madina said one caller promised, "We are going to get you out. You are not going to get stuck. Don't worry. We know where you are."

Habibi said they even pledged to pick them up in a car.

"They lied. They did nothing," he said.

Habibi says he hasn't been threatened by the Taliban and that no one has bothered him but he is still afraid. News stories and horrifying posts on social media have him convinced that the Taliban will kill him, he said, although he admitted he doesn't know of anyone being targeted.

"I'm just afraid. I follow the news," he said.

He said he knows of many families, some with U.S. green cards, who remain in Afghanistan.

Madina said Marcia Vigar Perez, a teacher at Dumbarton Elementary, her former school, started a prayer chain for her safe return.

"Every day they call me," she said.

Another Afghan native who asked to be identified only as Ajmal, fearing retribution, said he, his two brothers and their families—16 people in all—were granted emergency immigrant visas to be evacuated after another brother in Virginia submitted the paperwork.

Ajmal displayed emails from the U.S. government that said "please make your way to the Hamid Karzai International Airport" and use the Camp Sullivan Gate, not the civilian entrance, although he also was warned that the gate could change daily.

He said he and his relatives went to the airport, but heavy gunfire by the Taliban and the crush of thousands of people sent them back home. On one occasion, he said he received an email telling him and his family they would be picked up at a spot near the airport at 3 a.m. He and his family waited on the street until 9 a.m., but no one came, he said.

His brother, Wais, a U.S. citizen living in Virginia, said he had petitioned senators and filled out paperwork to get his family to America.

"I am frustrated and angry" at U.S. officials, Wais said. "All the time they say, 'We are working on it, we are working on it,' but then—nothing."