Geoff Dean: Ventura County Sheriff Overseeing Thousand Oaks Investigation Retires Tomorrow

Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean, who led the response to the mass shooting at a bar in Thousand Oaks, California, has confirmed he would retire as planned at the end of the week. He said the close of his career "couldn't be any worse."

Speaking at a news conference confirming the gunman's identity as 28-year-old Ian David Long, Dean said he had no intention of changing his retirement plans, which were announced earlier this year.

When asked whether he would still continue to help with the investigation, Dean replied: “I am no longer the sheriff [by] tomorrow at midnight, but I will certainly be part of the family.” When asked by another reporter whether that means he was retiring on Friday, Dean said: “I am.”

It "couldn't be any worse," Dean said, when asked about his final day in uniform, reported My Fox 8.

Dean was elected sheriff of Ventura County in 2010 but announced in January 2018 that he did not intend to seek re-election for a third term.

“After much heartfelt thought, introspection and family deliberation, I have decided not to seek re-election as your Sheriff,” Dean told employees at the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office at the time, reported the Ventura County Star.

“It was not an easy decision—I love my job, the people I work with and the community I serve.”

GettyImages-1059080540 Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean briefs reporters at the intersection of US 101 freeway and the Moorpark Rad exit as police vehicles close off the area in response to a shooting at a bar in Thousand Oaks, California, on November 8. Dean confirmed he was still planning to retire this week following the "worst" end to his career. FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP/Getty Images

Current Assistant Sheriff Bill Ayub is due to take over from Dean next week, reported the Thousand Oaks Acorn.

Earlier in the day, Dean had confirmed that one of his deputies, who was one of the first at the scene of the attack, was among the 12 victims of the shooting at the Borderline Bar & Grill.

Sergeant Ron Helus died after receiving multiple gunshot wounds. During an emotional news conference, Dean said Helus was a 29-year veteran on the force who had planned to retire sometime next year.

“There’s no way to describe this. It saddens us all and tears at our emotions,” Dean said.

“He was totally committed. He gave his all. Tonight, as I told his wife, he died a hero because he went in to save lives, to save other people,” Dean said.

Long was found dead inside the bar after officers entered the building. Dean told reporters they still had not been able to determine a motive for the attack and there was “no indication that he had targeted the employees.

“We haven't found any  correlation," the sheriff said, as reported by The Associated Press. "Maybe there was a motive for this particular night, but we have no information leading to that at all,” he said.