What The Houston Astros Have Said About Their Sign-Stealing Scandal As Spring Training Begins

Houston Astros
Houston Astros address sign-stealing scandal Raymond Boyd/Getty

As the MLB begins spring training, the Houston Astros spoke on Wednesday to the media about the outcome of the team's 2017 sign-stealing scandal, with many of the players expressing remorse and apologizing for their actions.

The sign-stealing scandal was first discovered by the MLB after former Astro Mike Fiers spoke to The Athletic detailing the different things the Astros were doing to steal opposing teams' signs. The MLB then began investigating the team and on January 13, they were found guilty of using electronic methods to steal signs throughout the 2017 season.

The team was then fined $5 million dollars and former Astros' manager A.J. Hinch and former general manager Jeff Luhnow were suspended for a year, but were later fired by the team.

While none of the players involved in the scandal were punished some of them addressed the outcome of the allegations for the first time.

"Last month when the MLB announced the penalties to the Houston Astros, I issued an apology to our fans and the city of Houston," Astros' owner Jim Crane said. "I want to say again how sorry our team is for what happened, and I want to also repeat that this will never happen again on my watch."

Crane went on to state that he agreed with the MLB's decision to hold the team's manager and general manager accountable for the sign-stealing scandal, as well as the MLB's decision to not punish the players involved.

In addition to Crane issuing multiple apologies in regard to the teams' actions of stealing signs, he also confused many when talking about the impact that these actions had.

"Our opinion is that this didn't impact the game and we had a good team and we won the [2017] World Series and we'll leave it at that," Crane said at one point but when asked what he meant when he said this, he moved back on his statement.

When asked if the team cheated, Crane responded by saying "we broke the rules, you can phrase that however you want."

"I didn't say it didn't impact the game," Crane added. "It's hard to determine how it impacted the game, if it impacted the game so that's where we'll leave it."

Following Crane's statements, Astros' players, Alex Bregman and Jose Altuve were next to address the scandal.

"I am really sorry about the choices that were made by my team, by the organization and by me," Bregman said. "I hope to regain the trust of baseball fans."

"I want to say that the whole Astros organization and the team feels bad about what happened in 2017," Altuve added. "We especially feel remorse for the impact it had on our fans and for the game of baseball."

Following the press conference, a few other members of the Astros spoke to the media in the team's spring training locker room.

"There's no excuse today. We were wrong for everything we did in 2017," Astros shortstop Carlos Correa said. "We're deeply sorry."

Astros' outfielder Josh Reddick also apologized stating, "we're sorry for what we did and how it was handled." Reddick was also asked if he planned on apologizing to his fellow MLB players that play for other teams, to which he responded by saying, "I don't think so. I just don't feel like we should."

Many of the players also discussed the speculation that the Astros were wearing buzzers under their jerseys as a way to relay the opposing teams' signs. Though the speculation began after the investigation into the scandal had ended, the MLB released a statement about it, saying, "MLB explored wearable devices during the investigation but found no evidence to substantiate it." Many of the Astros cited the league's findings when speaking on the issue.

When Crane was asked about the buzzers, he stated that he felt "confident" the commissioners report was "accurate" and added, "I've discussed it with the players and they've assured me that didn't happen."

"That's a lie. Nobody wore buzzers, nobody wore devices" Correa said.

Following conversations with the media from various members of the Astros' organization, several players for the New York Yankees offered their own takes.

Yankees' closer Aroldis Chapman stated that he "disagreed with the Astros owner" who claimed sign-stealing did not affect the games.

Yankees' head coach Aaron Boone called Crane's claim that the sign-stealing didn't impact the game "quite a stretch."

In addition to Chapman, a few other MLB players decided to take to Twitter to expound on the Astros' comments.

"Didn't impact the game lol," Los Angeles Angels' Michael Hermosillo wrote.

"Right...they did it because trash can acoustics are good for the soul. Yes, they had a good team. But of course it impacted the game. If it didn't impact the game, why continue it? Don't play the public for fools. Just apologize, be accountable, and move forward," former MLB player Michael Young wrote.

What The Houston Astros Have Said About Their Sign-Stealing Scandal As Spring Training Begins | Sports