12-Hour Police Chase, Highway Standoff in California Ends With Man in Custody

A suspect is in custody following an hours-long police chase and standoff that ended on a highway in California Thursday morning.

News station KTLA reported an individual was finally in custody after the more than 12-hour incident in which he did not leave a truck that had been reported stolen.

The standoff occurred on the 55 Freeway in Santa Ana, near MacArthur Boulevard, CBS Los Angeles reported. Southbound traffic on the freeway was shut down, with traffic backed up for miles and commuters told to avoid the area.

The news station reported that the alleged driver was a male in his 20s and that the vehicle was in the middle lane on the freeway.

The police chase began in East Los Angeles, continuing Northwest into California's Ventura County and eventually south into Orange County.

The California Highway Patrol said Wednesday that a big rig was stolen from a yard belonging to Individual FoodService in Bell, California. The truck was reported stolen around 8 p.m. Wednesday evening.

According to ABC 7, the truck had half a tank of fuel. During the chase, police deployed at least nine spike strips as they attempted to halt the vehicle. Although the spikes ended up shredding several tires, the truck continued moving.

The alleged driver was going under the highway speed limit throughout much of the chase, ABC 7 reported.

California Highway Standoff Hits 10 Hours
A suspect is in custody following an hours-long police chase and standoff that ended on a highway in California Thursday morning. Above, a drone aerial view shows an empty Interstate 10 freeway after all westbound traffic toward Santa Monica was shut down due to rioting and an emergency curfew during demonstrations on May 31, 2020, in Santa Monica, California. David McNew

Eventually, the 18-wheeler stopped on the freeway in Santa Ana on Thursday morning, with the driver declining to get out of the truck.

"NOT GIVING UP! 10+ hours later, suspect in stolen semi-truck refuses to surrender — full stop on SB 55 in Santa Ana," ABC 7 reporter Marc Cota-Robles wrote on Twitter.

Video of the incident showed about a dozen police cars behind the vehicle with their lights on.

NOT GIVING UP! 10+ hours later, suspect in stolen semi-truck refuses to surrender — full stop on SB 55 in Santa Ana. #PURSUIT @ABC7 https://t.co/sceNS92PKT https://t.co/SsqNmZBvFB

— Marc Cota-Robles (@abc7marccr) November 4, 2021

About an hour later, Cota-Robles noted that the freeway had been shut down.

"#BREAKING Now NB 55 is shutdown as precaution as CHP and Santa Ana SWAT move in — pursuit suspect refuses to surrender," he tweeted.

Cota-Robles subsequently reported that the suspect was finally in custody.

#BREAKING SUSPECT IN CUSTODY! Man who led CHP on hours-long pursuit in stolen big rig has now surrendered on SB 55 freeway — shoutout to @SantaAnaPD SWAT officers involved in apprehension. | UPDATES on @ABC7 | https://t.co/sceNS92PKT pic.twitter.com/aSD5FTSZUf

— Marc Cota-Robles (@abc7marccr) November 4, 2021

During the chase, the truck was pursued by both highway patrol officials in vehicles and a helicopter as it crisscrossed counties in Southern California, per KTLA.

Local news outlets reported that they also attempted to follow the chase but had trouble doing so due to weather conditions.

Newsweek reached out to the California Highway Patrol for comment but did not hear back before publication time.