Activists Occupy Minneapolis Police Station After Weekend Shooting of Black Man

Demonstrators chant at Minneapolis police officers near the side entrance to the city's 4th Precinct station on November 15. Jeff Wheeler/Minneapolis Star Tribune/ZUMA

Updated | Black Lives Matter and NAACP activists continued to occupy the main entrance of the Minneapolis Police Department's 4th Precinct station on Monday following Sunday's officer involved shooting of a black man who is widely believed to have been handcuffed at the time.

Officials haven't released the suspect's identity or his condition in the hospital, but family members and the Minneapolis chapters of Black Lives Matter and the NAACP have identified him as Jamar Clark, 24. His relatives told local media that he is brain-dead.

Clark was also named in a tweet by state Representative Raymond Dehn on Sunday, and activists are using #Justice4Jamar when referencing the shooting on social media. The shooting took place early Sunday when police were responding to an assault report.

Demonstrators on Monday are occupying the atrium area of the Minneapolis station and have set up tents outside of the entrance, Kandace Montgomery, organizer of the local Black Lives Matter chapter, tells Newsweek.

"We are not planning to leave until the video of the shooting and execution of Jamar Clark by the Minneapolis Police Department is released," she says.

Black Lives Matter and the NAACP are calling for the police department to fire the officers allegedly responsible for the shooting and to prosecute the individuals accordingly. They're also demanding a federal investigation into the incident.

Montgomery, who said she was in the atrium of the precinct when speaking to Newsweek, says officials are using "intimidation tactics" to force the protesters to leave the premises. She says officers have turned off the heat and have flickered the lights several times.

The tactics are "psychological things that can make life harder for us," she says.

About 30 people were located inside the first doorway of the precinct and outside of the police station on Monday morning, she says.

Around 12:45 a.m. local time on Sunday, Minneapolis police were called to a report of an assault. While en route, officers were notified that a suspect was confronting paramedics and disrupting their ability to assist a victim at the scene, Minneapolis Deputy Chief Bruce Folkens said at a news conference on Sunday.

Officers arrived and attempted to calm the suspect, he said, adding that a physical altercation and a struggle with the suspect then took place. During the incident, an officer discharged his weapon at least once, striking the suspect, Folkens said. Clark was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) has agreed to conduct an independent investigation of the incident. The agency hasn't released the name of the suspect and can't provide medical condition information, Jill Oliveira, BCA public information officer, tells Newsweek.

"We need to know exactly what happened. We need to know the truth. Everyone involved needs that and deserves that," Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau said at a press conference Sunday afternoon.

Several witnesses said the suspect was in handcuffs when he was shot. But on Sunday, Harteau said an ongoing preliminary investigation shows the suspect wasn't cuffed at the time. BCA Superintendent Drew Evans confirmed to reporters on Sunday that there were handcuffs at the shooting scene.

Two officers were placed on standard paid administrative leave for the remainder of the ongoing investigation, Harteau said.

On Sunday, NAACP supporters and other activists met at the corner of James Avenue North and Plymouth Avenue North, where the suspect was shot. They held a rally and marched from the site to the police station to call for justice. When they arrived, demonstrators demanded to be allowed inside. Protesters chanted, "Prosecute the police, no justice, no peace" and "Stop killing us." Some of them also spoke about the shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown, who was killed by officer Darren Wilson in August 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri.

"If the police cannot protect us, then we don't need police in our community," Michael McDowell, of Black Lives Matter, said at the protests on Sunday.

"We are asking you to join us as we demand the firing of the officers who committed this egregious crime and the accountability for all involved in this matter," the NAACP said in a statement.

Dehn called the incident "another tragic shooting."

"I welcome the independent investigation and hope that answers come quickly," he said Sunday in a statement.

Officials are asking witnesses to call officials with information or video footage from the incident.

Members of Black Lives Matter are planning another march on Monday at 5 p.m.

This story has been updated to include information from Oliveira.

Activists Occupy Minneapolis Police Station After Weekend Shooting of Black Man | U.S.