Wendy's Shooting in Alabama Sees Teenage Girl Killed

A 16-year-old girl was shot dead and a man left injured after a shootout at a fast-food drive-thru in Northport, Alabama.

Violence broke out as cars were lined up at the Wendy's restaurant at 1920 McFarland Boulevard around 5 p.m. on Tuesday, said Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit Captain Jack Kennedy, according to CBS 42.

Police said a suspect pulled up in a car and fired into a second vehicle, WVTM reported. The driver of the second car drove to a nearby apartment complex and called the police.

When officers arrived at the complex on Fieldcrest Drive, they found 16-year-old Trinity Shannon dead in the car and a 20-year-old man with non-threatening gunshot wounds.

Another female passenger, who has not been named, was uninjured, according to WVTM.

Northport’s assistant police chief says two cars apparently started shooting at each other outside of the Wendy’s on McFarland Blvd. about 5:00. Carpenter says the injured parties ended up at nearby Fieldcrest Apartments. One person is now dead. Live report at 10:00 on #WVTM13. pic.twitter.com/AWs9DYx2PH

— Chip Scarborough (@ChipWVTM13) October 20, 2021

Images tweeted by the local TV network show a police cordon wrapped around the fast-food restaurant in the aftermath of the incident. Law enforcement have also secured the area at the apartment complex.

Video footage, eyewitnesses and accounts by the victims allowed Tuscaloosa authorities to identify the suspect as Kenderius Sherman, a 19-year-old who had a history of disagreements with the driver of the car that was fired on, according to WVTM.

Sherman was arrested and taken into custody at Tuscaloosa County Jail.

He has been charged with capital murder and two counts of attempted murder, with a $120,000 combined bond, CBS 42 reported.

Newsweek has contacted Northport police for further information.

Meanwhile, in Kenosha, Wisconsin, three people were killed in a shooting in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

The Kenosha Police Department said another two people were taken to hospital in a critical condition after the incident, which took place shortly after midnight near the 600 block of 40th Place.

Police tweeted that they were "not actively seeking any suspects. This was not a police involved shooting. Victims ages and identities are not being released at this time."

On Monday, a manhunt was launched in Michigan for two suspects following the shooting dead of a man and woman in a car while their nine-month-old son was sitting in the back seat. The child was unharmed in the shooting at a Marathon gas station in Detroit.

Surveillance video showed that the family's car was parked at the pump when the suspects, dressed in black, came up to separate sides of the vehicle and started shooting.

Child Protective Services arrived at the scene and took custody of the baby boy, who is now being cared for by his grandmother.