Buckingham Palace Says 'Recollections May Vary' in First Statement After Meghan and Harry's Oprah Interview

Buckingham Palace will be privately addressing the issues raised in a bombshell interview Oprah Winfrey conducted with Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, the duchess of Sussex.

In a statement on Tuesday, Buckingham Palace on behalf of Queen Elizabeth said "recollections" of what transpired may vary, but that the claims made in the interview were being taken "very seriously." During an interview with Winfrey that aired Sunday night, Markle discussed the toll being royal took on her mental health and said that she was subjected to racist comments.

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan," the statement said. "[The issues] will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members."

Comments about the Duchess of Sussex being subjected to racist comments is not an entirely new revelation, as Harry lambasted the media's coverage of their relationship as being racist and sexist while the two were dating. However, they said during the interview that the racism wasn't confined to those outside of the family.

"We have in tandem the conversation of 'He won't be given security, he's not going to be given a title' and also concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he's born," Markle said.

Harry added that someone was worried about what their children would look like, although the couple declined to say who made the comments.

meghan markle prince harry buckingham palace
Buckingham Palace said it will address the issues raised in Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's interview with Oprah Winfrey. In this handout image provided by Harpo Productions and released on March 5, Winfrey interviews the couple. Harpo Productions/Joe Pugliese/Getty Images

The couple were married in 2018 after about two years of dating, and in January of last year they said they would be taking a "step back" from royal life. As they worked to become financially independent, the couple said they would continue to "fully support" the queen, Harry's grandmother, and would split time between the United Kingdom and America.

"This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity," the couple said in a statement.

While the palace vocalized their support for the couple, Harry said it was different behind the scenes. He told Winfrey that his father, Prince Charles and the heir to the throne, stopped taking his calls. In July, the couple purchased a home in Santa Barbara, California, and in their interview Harry said when they moved, the family cut him off financially.

Harry has been open about his own struggles with his mental health, and Meghan told Winfrey during the interview that she was "ashamed" of having to tell him she was having suicidal thoughts. When she reportedly asked a senior royal about seeking help, she was told it "wouldn't be good for the institution."

"But I knew that if I didn't say that, then I would do it," Markle said in the interview. "I just didn't want to be alive anymore."

Polls taken after the interview aired show that Americans are much more sympathetic to the couple than those who live in Great Britain. Compared to the 68 percent of U.S. adults who had sympathy, only 29 percent in Great Britain felt the same, according to two YouGov polls.

Americans were also more likely to consider the interview "appropriate." But, both Americans and those polled in the U.K. agree that they have little sympathy for senior members of the royal family.